Raspberry Pi Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I do not own a Mamboberry. A friend does.
I heard that the guy behind MamboBerry gives directions.
Beside that you'll find tons of PS related info @DIYA.
I'm running a RME Fireface UCX (better PS) myself nowadays.

2. Ethernet noise
(Linuxgeek) I'm wondering if an unshielded ethernet cable was used.
Network ground loops must be avoided!!!!
Otherwise, WLAN means more load (SW and HW) on the PI. I try to avoid this too.
A friend of mine uses a 20inch unshielded ethernet cable hooked up to a small wireless
Netgear bridge. He thinks that's the best solution. I'm running a small Cisco Hub since I need more then one link. I do video streaming etc.
What helped even further was a good power supply either on the Cisco hub or on the Netgear Wlan bridge.

BTW:
If you attach a standard USB cable to the PI, you'll have the same effect. Noise skyrockets. My measures: Either use a Jitterbug or/and cut the VBUS of your USB cable.
Or have a look at the brandnew iPurifier 2.
I also made use of the iFi USB cable trick. They basically run data and VBUS/Ground separately. I extended that. I cut the VBUS and added a 3R to the ground (See Uptone Regen) and on top made a starground config.

at the moment i'm using an OPPO BDP-93 as my main source but all this new fangled Raspberry Pi thing has got me intrigued so i have a few questions.

are the codecs embedded on the PI, DAC or software via OS?

Provided by kernel subsystem: ALSA. Everything else is built on the top of that.

can i use a tablet as a web interface to control the player?

You can even use a dedicated mobile app for that. Look for music servers that can handle MPD protocol and you should be fine.

my plan is to have a one box headphone solution with a high quality headphone amp (RJM Audio Sapphire) as the main amp and the PI+DAC as the source. the music storage will be via Micro SD card with a slot on the front of the unit and all files will be Flac.

I've not tried stackable RPi DAC boards (for reasons mentioned by LinuxGeek), but decided to use RPi i2s to drive dedicated DAC board (dam1021), Sapphires and DT 880s. It's not as cheap, at least 5x more than a DAC add-on, but... a couple of my friends and I decided to test such setup against:

1. Hugo TT/Audeze LCD-3
2. Oppo PM-1/HA-1
3. LampizatOr DSD HEAD DAC/Beyer's T1

And everyone was far from calling it underdog.

The Pi is not meant to be a high quality sound machine and if you want to change that you need to fully isolate the i2s signal and reclock it with hiqh quality clocks.

[...]
Do not expect high quality. Its better than many cheap players, but still no match compared to high quality equipment.

Once you take care of reclocking/power rails isolation/buffering/etc, you will have a hard time finding more versatile, feature-rich, easy-to-mod streaming platform.

I've not tried stackable RPi DAC boards (for reasons mentioned by LinuxGeek), but decided to use RPi i2s to drive dedicated DAC board (dam1021), Sapphires and DT 880s.

now would i be right in presuming that you are using RJM Audio Sapphire?

are the DT-880's 600ohm?

if the above is correct then this is almost the exact same setup i will be using apart from your dam1021 and instead i will be using iqaudio DAC+ as the plug-in board.

can i ask what power supply you are using to power the Pi?

I've not tried stackable RPi DAC boards (for reasons mentioned by LinuxGeek), but decided to use RPi i2s to drive dedicated DAC board (dam1021)

Once you take care of reclocking/power rails isolation/buffering/etc, you will have a hard time finding more versatile, feature-rich, easy-to-mod streaming platform.

Are you taking I2S of the RPi with short jumpers to the dam1021? It hasn't been clear to me that the dam1021 could reclock the I2S output and compensate for what is said to be the less than good clock on the RPi. Also, can this combination handle 384K data rates, or is that still a shortcoming (Alsa-related).

Thank you,

skip

now would i be right in presuming that you are using RJM Audio Sapphire?

3.1n

are the DT-880's 600ohm?

Uhm.

if the above is correct then this is almost the exact same setup i will be using apart from your dam1021 and instead i will be using iqaudio DAC+ as the plug-in board.

can i ask what power supply you are using to power the Pi?

R-core with multiple secondaries (also used by DAC and HPA); single 6V/1.25A -> diode bridge + Zener emitter follower (slightly below 6V, just to secure mravlca circuit) -> mravlca's LDO TPS7A8300 with additional 4000uF put on its input

Are you taking I2S of the RPi with short jumpers to the dam1021? It hasn't been clear to me that the dam1021 could reclock the I2S output and compensate for what is said to be the less than good clock on the RPi.

Short, a few cm long jumper wires are used for I2S lines.

Actually it worked pretty well even when RPi was powered by a cheap Meanwell SMPS. But due to real estate deficit I resorted to a combination described above.

Also, can this combination handle 384K data rates, or is that still a shortcoming (Alsa-related).

Out of box - no. But honestly I doubt you will ever need such sample rates for the dam1021, if you plan to playback only.

Last edited:
its alive... :)

powered off a wallwart at the moment but its alive and playing music via local HDD and the inbuilt headphone amp..

i think this little gem has potential.

not keen on the playback interface.. its a bit of an awkward way around to play stuff.

Yes, you are right, tbats also my opinion. Thats the only reason, why i still mess with the problems. My new approach is a bit different. Instead of trying to take care of all the problems, i began building a raspberry based solution with the compute module. I still have some problems, but the first attempts are way better than the pi itself. Problem is, that bga capable 4layer pcbs are not really cheap...
I will start a thread when i get to a point where i can show results (and hopefully the pi2 compute module is out, pi1 sucks if you got used to the quadcore :) ).

well that was BS.. no power input via the 4 USB ports.

ISTR something about revisions in that area. Maybe the original B does it.... Fairly sure mine do it. I think it got revised at B+ and Pi2....

its alive... :)

powered off a wallwart at the moment but its alive and playing music via local HDD and the inbuilt headphone amp..

i think this little gem has potential.

not keen on the playback interface.. its a bit of an awkward way around to play stuff.

What distribution are you using? I use Runeaudio. Volumio, Moode, have similar roots. On Rune, you have to select an option to turn on library functions. They appear on the Web UI home screen. And I think in any MPD client/controller such as MPDroid etc.

J.

only had a few niggles when setting it up but tbh it was more me than the install process. i'm using moode.

only niggles i have with the way you select from the library is how you choose to play tracks or albums.

i think it would be better if on the album selection you had the option to 'add to list' or 'play now' then on the tracks pane you have the same. there are far too many choices on the dropdown list for my liking. i also think it would be better if you clicked the 'title' and the list popped up rather than having to click on a separate list icon.

only had a few niggles when setting it up but tbh it was more me than the install process. i'm using moode.

only niggles i have with the way you select from the library is how you choose to play tracks or albums.

i think it would be better if on the album selection you had the option to 'add to list' or 'play now' then on the tracks pane you have the same. there are far too many choices on the dropdown list for my liking. i also think it would be better if you clicked the 'title' and the list popped up rather than having to click on a separate list icon.

I must confess, I have a similar confusion. I guess it depends if one's building a saved playlist or wanting to play/queue now... But it's not always evident what does what and in most circumstances, some selections seem to do the same thing. I have a feeling a lot of it is enabling options of MPD.

J.

as of about 2hrs ago i have finally got my plan together.

RPi, IQaudIO DAC+ and RJM Audio Sapphire V3 headphone amp all plugged up together. what can i say apart from AMAZING. completely blows my oppo bdp93 into a trash can miles away.

i cant believe that something costing £70 can sound so good.

it all a bit heath robinson just now but thats easily sorted.

Congrats Biblio on getting a satisfying Raspberry pi system together. I've had mine running in my truck for several months now. I used a modest usb dac. I run mpd playing flac files and run the dac output to the aux-in jack on my truck's factory stereo. I built a shutdown button and a skip button on a breadboard using the gpio pins and a Python script. I taped the Pi, dac, and breadboard together and it sits on my center console. The sound is way better than playing the same cd's on my truck's stereo.

well done :)

i was thinking of having a simple LCD and remote control but for the price of a cheep 10'' pad it was a no brainer. pad is much easier to use.

i'm now pretty happy with MoOde now that i use the 'browse' instead of the 'library' as its a one click on the pop up list to add albums :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.