Randy the new RPi streamer and player on the block

Possibly expose the option as a triple toggle. Off, On, album or On, tracks :)
This would allow single album listening without any adjustments from replay gain when set to off and when set to on a smoother experience with random tracks and multiple albums.
Currently I am enjoying the randomness of Randy when working at my bench but have to stop frequently to adjust volume as tracks change.

Some claim a slight downside in audio quality but I have yet to hear any and the benefits far outweigh any possible detriment.
Replay gain tags make no changes to the quality of audio files and are saved as metadata to be used for level adjustment with a compatible player.
Album gain preserves the individual tracks relative levels within an album but adjusts album's overall levels to match.
Track gain adjusts each tracks relative level to other tracks .

Looking at the tags so far I see that my albums have both sets written so the album gain would overide the track gain unless a toggle to select either was present...

Currently tagging with rsgain which handles more file types, including .wav, than others.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Rsgain#Linux

Last edited:
….

I am wondering also how do you guys feel about:
  • volume control?
  • normalisation (keeping volume of different tracks consistent)
* both may have some effect on sound quality

Good stuff and lots of movement!
Gideon
Hi Gideon,

You inquired about volume control & normalization long time ago :)
For me normalization is not very important, but I would like to have volume control.
It could be a setting, I don’t change it often (100% volume is a bit much on headphones :) )
Do people use the slider for fast forward/reverse?

Joined 2023
Paid Member
Hi Gideon

Hope you have been keeping well! I just loaded up your current RPi version and all is working well! (all 104k tracks!) The player still sounds amazing for every track! mpv is so awesome. :hphones:

The sound card selection is a nice touch. Reminds me to remove the unnecessary modules wasting power. 😊

I was writing as there needs to be some edits to the Wiki page on smb mounts. Needs a bit of clean-up and update to reload after fstab changes a systemctl daemon-reload is required before testing the auto-mount. I have a public git account also so perhaps can edit that way. Let me know.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 223211 - Copy.png

Reactions: 1 user