"RADON gas" to use 1000 watt bulbs with one fan !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stocker, Yes, some people get freaked out at the mention of isolating pure radon gas. There's a reason.

It's an gas (read: inhaled) alpha emitter with a half life of 3 DAYS at most(I'm talking about rn-222, the longest lived isotope). That's thousands of times as radioactive as plutonium, without the good sense that plutonium has to come in solid form.

Even if you could safely confine it, if you had to use it in an optically clear container, AND you could replace it every few days as it decays, you may have problems (assuming you are fine with the other short lived members of the uranium decay series) with the thin sheet of radioactive lead that will end up coating your glass as the radon decays into solid Pb-210.

Argon is what you want here, if you want to block infrared. But it won't make a difference at all in the amount of fans that you use - thermodynamics being what it is.

I feel compelled to reply in this thread.

What brainiac decided Radon was a good idea? :no:

Argon is not toxic. The only reason it's dangerous is that it can starve you of oxygen if you breathe in copious quantities.

and last but not least, why are you even filling it with any gas? A vacuum would be best.

Little Erve said:
I feel compelled to reply in this thread.

Argon is not toxic. The only reason it's dangerous is that it can starve you of oxygen if you breathe in copious quantities.

Argon is not toxic, sorry if I worded it wrong, the point is it has killed and will kill if not treated correctly. Remember a lot of people on here are young and may try stupid things.

Little Erve said:
Yeah I know what you mean.

It's not a common problem but people do have to be aware of it.

If you stuck your head in a bucket filled with argon, you'd just fall alseep and end up dead from oxygen starvation.

Argon even in non-lethal, smaller ammounts, has been proven to destroy brain cells. I'm no expert but I do remember Argon having some sort of weird property where it can bond to other gasses, which may be why it's considered to be fairly dangerous?

I can tell you exactly what it is like to die from oxygen starvation from personal experience, it's HORRIBLE. All the blood rushes to your head, I guess to compensate for the lack of oxygen, obviously making your head POUND. Then you start to basically hallucinate and freak out for 10-15 seconds and poof, all goes black. That 10-15 seconds feels like DAYS. No more pain, just a calm peaceful feeling. Not very fun to basically die before its time to die.

-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.