Radian PB850 - any experiences?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coral m-100

i have made direct listening comparisons between the JBL Le85, Radian 475pb, and Coral M100, on a JBL HL91 horn with lens. By far the best performer was the Coral M100, followed by the JBL Le85, and the Radian was rather poor sounding. Less defined and less transparent. The Coral beats the others on clarity, detail and transparency, and goes lower. I was quit amazed and surprised to hear such a big difference. I expected more, based on my experience with the Radian 950pb, which sounds great.
Sad i did not bring the Corals to brazil, to compare with Vitavox S2. Maibe next year...

Hi Angelo,

Can you tell me what horn you used for the Coral and where it was high-passed? I cross mine at 800 hz on a 400 hz tractrix. Going to measure them next week.

Kris

No wonder we are getting confused in this world of audio. Some say the Radian PB475 compares to the TAD-2001 and the Yamaha, others find it mediocre? Differences in setup and room? Maybe preferences? (Sorry OT, but it seems we are discussing the PB-475 and not the PB-850 at the moment :)).

Hi Angelo,

Can you tell me what horn you used for the Coral and where it was high-passed? I cross mine at 800 hz on a 400 hz tractrix. Going to measure them next week.

Kris

hi Kris

i used on all drivers the same horn, and the same crossover, a JBL HL91 Horn with lens, and crossover was 1200hz, as far as i remember. I used the Crossover of the JBL L200 Monitor.
The Coral line is out of production, but mainly on ebay germany these drivers show up on a frequent base. The Coral M104 with ferritmagnet is also very good.

Last edited:
EQ

I hope you won't place too much relevance on your listening test if you didn't measure the response or at least adjust the EQ by ear for each driver. Different compression drivers on different horns have wildly varying responses and sensitivities. It could be that the Radian was down 5db all the way across or missing a big shelf that the others had. Who knows.

Angelo, if you found the 475PB poor sounding, less defined and less transparent than you obviously did something wrong with your setup. Put this thing on a 400hz tractrix horn with a 6db crossover and you get the results that John Hasquin, Tom Brennan and many frech audiophiles describe: Detailed, transparent, smooth. Very close to the TAD 2001.

Here is a quote of a person that compared the Coral M100 with the TAD 2001 which actually contradicts your experiece, if you consider all the people that regard the Radian as being very close to the TAD.

"We use 800Hz, 8kHz in 12dB/Oct electonic crossover

Fostex D-272... sound is thick.. not much airy and not much transparent when compare with Coral and TAD. I'm thinking its diaghragm is not light enought... to produce the transparent feeling...

Coral M-100 sound is nice. It produces attractive vocal.. a little bit slow.. however, this slow make the female vocal has its character sound....have a kind of 含羞..矜持 when we listen Lily Chan...very different with TAD.. sorry..hard to expain the feeling... Anyway, I love its sounding..

TAD sound is wonderful, very detail, fast and transparent. It is the most transparent when compare the above two drivers. Its vocal sound is great too... very balance sound... Also a wonderful driver.... I love TAD sound too.. however, TAD entry fee is quite expensive..haaa... haaa... nearly double of Coral..

We would like to compare Horn drivers later.. If you have other brands and want to compare... We may gather and compare again.... Cheers Carter "

As has been pointed out, this thread was about the Radian 850-PB and I should not have mentioned the 475-PB, but I did so to support that Radian does indeed produce highest quality compression drivers.

What I can testify first hand is, that the Radian 850-PB comes very close to the Yamaha JA-6681 even when used with an adapter.

Concerning comparing drivers, it is advisable to use tractrix, LeCleach or a good CD horn like the GedLee one, as professional horns for the most part have too much shortcomings and often a signature that either suits a driver or not. If a driver and a certain horn have a peak at the same frequency region the combination can almost become unlistenable.

All the remarks I have gathered about the Radian drivers have been onsistent exept yours, so I take it that the horn driver combination in your case was rather conflicting.

Greets, Klaus

All the remarks I have gathered about the Radian drivers have been onsistent
exept yours, so I take it that the horn driver combination in your case was
rather conflicting.

hi Klaus

i just want to clear that it is not my intention to " speak bad " the Radian brand. Quit the contrary - the 950pb which i know as well, has made me get great respect - its in my opinion a tremendous driver, which i had great fun to use for some time. I certainly agree, that a tractrix horn alouds much better results than the JBL Hl91, which i used to make the comparative experiment.
As said, in this ocasion, i did not like the Radian 475pb, i thought it was rather poor performing. But again - that was just my personal opinion at that ocasion - take it just as what it is.

Angelo

~500hz-20k. They can safely go lower (it seems), but disto creeps up a bit below 500. I don't really see the point of pushing an extra maj 3rd out of them when they are already doing 5+ octaves. Plus they are used in a studio where sh*t happens and I don't want to have to replace the frams. Specifically right now I think -6dB acoustic point is in the high 400s.

Right now I have them crossed over to 4x aura ns6 per side which are shaded like Bwaslo's malcom design. But I'm going to follow face's lead and am just finishing up some prototype cardioid boxes I'm going to test with some dayton 10"s. If I can get a good directivity match from the cardiod loading then I will probably go TD10 or 12. For subs I have a pair of w15gti's, hypex DLCP and HG/HXR amps fed via spdif (from avid omni).

The seos and 951 combo is the best in-room of any speaker I've ever measured in a smaller domestic size space...I've done a fair amount of acoustic consulting for project studios and have had the chance to measure a lot of monitors in a lot rooms.

Any Pics?

Been eyeing the Hypex for a nCore combination, but just can't justify it, with the miniDSP sounding really good, add DACs or upgrade everything into a Hypex based single box!?

I'm really looking forward to getting my 850pb's up and running. F'd up my cherry and only got 12mm out of the boards, which seems a little too thin. Will try my floorboard approach soon for the conicals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.