QUAD ESL 57 A little work on the loudspeaker

Making new patch cables for the unit by hand:

silver plated copper 1mm solid core wire insulated by PTFE ribbon used by plumbers covered by and additional heat shring tubing:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Finished EHT unit:

Troubles redoing the 8mm diameter hole in the back of the audio transformer.

The previous owner 'drilled' a larger diameter hole to accomodate a larger and 'better' input sockets, but he removed them after selling the speakers and refitted the OEM plugs those were wobbly in these holes. So, I had to redo the holes with some method.

First, I had used some 'commercial 'epoxy putty, that fell out every time, and had limited durability regarding heat. I had a luck to obtain some nice high temperature putty that stayed in place at least after the drilling and painting too.

I simply covered the holes with cellotape, filled the box with hot wax, and carefully slid the whole block into it. I had no troubles with the earthing, the four screws on the top managed to get in contact both the box and the transformer's housing through the excess wax.

The finished audio transformer: