QSC power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Claudiomas,

You have mail!
According to the technical descriptions that you shared, there are only single layer PCB's on QSC RMX-1450 (With reservation if QSC have updated their specs). The "clone" Behringer EP-1500 actually has double layer boards with through plated holes.

you see if you clone your amp yourself and you make this for you and its your EP1500 you made by yours ands y wil said its great beautyfull fantastic . BUT i'ts not like this . you buy a clone made by a professional killer of electronics pioneers... QSC in this case ...who try to make this world better working hard to keep business go on otherwise made in china will take over us and end of CORVETTE HARLEY FERRARI our culture BYE BYE

EP2500 cloned of RMX2450;

I've seen internal pictures of both, the EP2500 transformer
is smaller than RMX2450.

I've seen test results of the EP2500. Because the VA ratings is less, the amplifier will struggle with it's lowest impedance power rating.

There is a reason why it's lower in cost, you get a smaller
transformer.

There is no reason why you can't use the Behringer products
as long as you understand what they really do. Not everyone
operates their amplifiers at their performance envelope so it
might be a cost effective solution to buy the EP series.

Disclaimer:
I can't guarantee that all EP2500's have smaller transformers,
past, present, future. /lol

The patent is only for the protection circuit, which is not the best.

It is very inexpensive, and compromises the dynamics of the amplifier. It also is a straight current limiter, and has no SOA sense.

I have found a half dozen amps made in China that seem to use the identical schematic, but they all use their own board layout, and other minor details. Tapco has the biggest power transformer, Behringer the smallest. They all share the same heatsink, too small for 2 ohm operation.

I can buy two Behringer and run them at 4 ohms, for the cost of one QSC and trying to run 2 ohms. The lightly loaded Behringer pair will sound better, and last longer than a single heavy loaded QSC.

For $70 each more I think I will go with the Tapco and the much larger transformers. I find that for two amps of the same rated power, the one with the bigger power supply sounds bigger in the bass.

I am considering removing the patented (expired) QSC limiter, and replacing it with the patented (expired) Crown ODEP circuit. Crown developed it for their grounded ouput stage amplifer, and I find it a better circuit, both from a sound, and a protection standpoint.

Rest assured that whatever amps I buy, I will use better opamps, better caps in the signal path, and add supply bypass caps.

Rest assured that whatever Amps I buy, they will not say QSC on them.

As they say in the auto trade:

YMMV

(your mileage may vary)

exhausted mule said:
this still leave the question as to where the design of the rmx came from.

You can ask your question here;
http://www.qscaudio.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=2

.. but based on my homework which can be in error,
it's a QSC design that is manufacturered offshore.

re: sound quality. I have the RMX amplifier along with other amplifiers, plus there are many RMX users in home audio,
there hasn't been any sound quality issues reported.

"To much focus is placed on current limiting, "

Don't you care what the amp sounds like?

The QSC limiter circuit makes the amp sound anemic way before it goes into hard limiting.

claudiomas can't tell the difference between current limiting and a crowbar, or he thinks I can't.

I really can't be of help to anyone on this subject as you all think these things are the best thing to happen since sliced bread.

There is a _little_ room for improvement in those QSC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.