Purpose of Sonic Impact Input Cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
panomaniac said:
So why do you guys feel the need for an input cap larger than 2.2uF? What do you think it adds, other than a bigger turn on thump?

Originally, it was parts availability for me as well, but I also wanted to compare the HI-Q with the N series( no clear winner ). Now that the Hi-Q 22uf is installed, I like the sound and prefer to leave it in place. It is soldered to the pads and glued to the board and I don't want to push my luck. I have the 4.7N on another board, soldered to leads from the pads and I agree with Shelt's assessment that the turn-on pop it makes is the max I would want.

panomaniac said:

Thanks, thought that might be the case.

Has anyone here tried the Blackgate "Super-E" caps. (I.E. 2
Non-polarized Black Gate in parallel)?
I'm more of a film cap fan, but Blackgate certainly have a good reputation.

I'd prefer film as well, just for the DA factor. However, blackgates seem to work really well when space is limited and you can't go the film & foil route.

I'm going to probably stick with installing BG-N's for now, though, and see how they do.

Mike

So what reasonably priced film caps would you suggest for those of us who don't mind having a huge amp?

And if anyone could tell me of any suitable toroidals on Digikey, I'd be much obliged. I'd get them from Mouser but they're an even bigger pain in the *** than Digikey. I'd like to keep my frustration focused on one distributor.

JWFokker said:
So what reasonably priced film caps would you suggest for those of us who don't mind having a huge amp?

And if anyone could tell me of any suitable toroidals on Digikey, I'd be much obliged. I'd get them from Mouser but they're an even bigger pain in the *** than Digikey. I'd like to keep my frustration focused on one distributor.

Solen's are nice and cheap, and available through many vendors. I'm pretty much convinced that any well built cap of the same type will probably sound the same. Some surplus sites may be worth checkin' out.

I had to order a solder remover and some other **** so I picked up some cheap caps from Parts Express too. I got some .22uf caps for the output, 2.2uf and 3.3uf caps (I'm going to try both) for the inputs, with a set made by Dayton and Solen but both brands are 5% tolerence. They were only a few bucks so I'm not expecting miracles. I almost bought Kimber caps but they were several bucks each, rather than a buck or so.

Now I've just got to find the right toroidals to use and figure out what exactly to do with the 1500uf caps for c11 and c12. I don't quite get where they're supposed to be soldered to. To be honest, I'm lost without a diagram or photograph.

diycable.com

I've had good experience with the ICW Clarity polypropylene caps from diycable.com - I used a pair of 3.3uF PX series which are on sale currently for $1.50 apiece. I bought a bunch so I could run separate SI amps for woofers, mids, tweeters. (So far, I'm running just two SI amps, one for woofers and one for mids/tweeters combined - need to dissect another SI 5066 for separate tweeters' amp.) Yes, they're big caps, comparatively, 1.125" long by 1" wide. Startup pop is not too severe. I'm using kynar wirewrap wire (30 something gauge) as jumpers to the board, input filters bypasssed with a 20k series metal film after the cap.

No affiliation with diycable or ICW, just a satisfied customer!

JB

JWFokker said:
Now I've just got to find the right toroidals to use and figure out what exactly to do with the 1500uf caps for c11 and c12. I don't quite get where they're supposed to be soldered to. To be honest, I'm lost without a diagram or photograph.

You can try this brand:

http://www.jwmiller.com/pdf2/2100.pdf

Also try the same link with 2200.pdf and 2300.pdf. You can get them from Allied Elec, Mouser and Digikey, I think. The Tripath spec sheet says use 10uH, I believe. Has anyone experimented with any other value? What is the stock value of the barrels on the S.I.?

Thanks.

Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.