Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
my flat pre amp from dr bora's design.
picture here

no less than 10 identical posts , posted in 10 different threads ......

:rofl:

seems that you are extremely happy , in same time finding most impressive way of social bonding .....

:clown:

edit:
to make you completely and nonquestionable happy - -here is your picture

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Finally I am going to put the :Pumpkin: to work. I am building it into its final case right now. Before closing the thing I have been running some more tests with Shuntys only and 470R as load.

Unfortunately R21,R22 keep "blowing" - they are actually not burned, just R is > 2M. My first attempt was 1R8 1/4W noname according to notes in the cook book, then I used 2R 1W Vishay metal film. They just died 5 minutes ago when I switched of/on the third time (It always happens when I switch it on). Both channels at the same moment. I use low ESR Rubycon caps and a 42V 250VA EI transformer...

What could I do?

Thanks
Sven

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
.......I use low ESR Rubycon caps and a 42V 250VA EI transformer...

What could I do?

you have two solutions , obviously ;

1. either toss those Ruby's out .........

2. or keep changing resistors ; put some fuse holders in their place , to ease that change ........

or ....... maybe you can decrease them in value , 'till they start to survive powering up

:clown:

I have to admit "shooting it" was among my first thoughts, however that is satisfactory only at a very very short term ;).

Ex post praying did not work, so I guess will have to actually put other resistors. The fuse socket is not such a bad idea since these PCBs clearly have been designed to solder ONCE and then never again :rolleyes:;).

I don't really know how much current runs through these resistors during startup and why 1W is not enough - I already halved the value. Without much experimenting - bear in mind frequent soldering/desoldering is not the best thing to do to these PCBs :tongue: - what should I use? 1/2W Carbon 2R? Generg mentioned MOX?

Regards
Sven