Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• war-of-the-worlds.jpg
    war-of-the-worlds.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 336
I already reached all my limits years ago ...
And now bouncing back ... hehe ... :xeye:
But
You're simply like good french (pleonasm) red wine ... always getting better with age.
Manu

Zen Mod said:
oh , boys and girls , I just made two new words : " Papamp and Papreamp" .

You forgot "drekling"...
Which I enjoy (the neologism, of course, not the drekk)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Pumpie Boards

ZM,
I have sent a message or two offline and seen no answer. I think your SPAM/Ignore filter is working real good!.:bawling:

I would like to paypal you for "Full Package" for pumpie.shunty combo if the list can deal with my multiple manifestation of short circuits and the like.

Let me know if you want it sent to Neobee address. Mike

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Pumpie Boards

mithomas said:
ZM,
I have sent a message or two offline and seen no answer. I think your SPAM/Ignore filter is working real good!.:bawling:

I would like to paypal you for "Full Package" for pumpie.shunty combo if the list can deal with my multiple manifestation of short circuits and the like.

Let me know if you want it sent to Neobee address. Mike

sorry ;
besides fact that I' sometimes really lost between home and workshop PC , last 2 or 3 day's I'm also pretty low on fuel ....... either working on something , either sleeping ;
flue is just killing me , even without temperature ; now I'm counting every bone in my body ..... :clown:

anyway - you can use my neobee addy for papadilipy , but I already owe you reply or two , regarding your problems with F4 .

or you can just your probs either here or lookielookie ono thread or any Off Topic Maffia thread ;)

edit:

yes - I received these e-mails ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Pumpie Boards

Zen Mod said:

sorry ;
besides fact that I' sometimes really lost between home and workshop PC , last 2 or 3 day's I'm also pretty low on fuel ....... either working on something , either sleeping ;
flue is just killing me , even without temperature ; now I'm counting every bone in my body ..... :clown:

Zen Mod,
Take care of yourself first. My stereo problems is just an outlet for fun and frustration alike. That can all wait.

No hurries or worries, Mike
:yinyang:

oh yeah, you know how to go straight to the point hum?
You read the first two lines and skiiiippppeeed the rest.
Give me five!!
Now i can delete my post as it's just occupying useless space as all my answers has been answered by your cookbook :D

Just keep in mind that as you said....over 2400 post.....not so easy to read them all and informations are just all spreaded around.
the manual is a great idea!

just one last question: do you think that the Jung's regulator works better than shunty?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stefanoo said:

just one last question: do you think that the Jung's regulator works better than shunty?

If I'm not mistaking - Jung's reg is series one ?

I mean - I know for several iterations of Jung's reg , but all they are series in topology ;

some ppl prefer series regs , some ppl prefer shunt ones .

I'll not tell that Shunty is better than Jung's reg ....... or vice versa .

:clown:

I prefer shunt regs , at least in cases where they are economic even in tiniest amount .

anyway - you can't talk about regs , without looking at broader picture - what are the goals and conditions for reg functionality .

edit :

you can still read form start of the thread ....... good laughing material :rofl:

forzza Rossi !

thanks for pointing this article out.

It looks very similar to this shunty at least it looks to me that it works on the same way, correct?
The Q3,Q2 and surrounding parts are a constant current source which they set the output current.
D3 is the voltage reference R3/15,P1 is the voltage divider that allows output voltage regulator.
Q7/8 is the active load of the dual differential pair Q5 (which a 2SK389 or similar might be useful here i guess to obtain maximum).

D5 should drive the Q11 that will shunt the supply and thus regulating output voltage against R1. (not sure about Q13).

I will read the entire article though.
There are not values nor reference to the parts used here.
Please correct me if i am going to say something wrong:
shunty's type can only supply a precise amount of current set by the CCS and thus can't be, for instance, interchanged on different circuits that have different current demands.
Shunty can only be used on Class A designs.

One last thing: if i am using it on a phono stage that has to source on the plus side 120mA whilst one the - side 80mA, would it still work? or should tweak the CCSs in order to get this asymmetrical current demands?

Speaking of the shunty here and Borbely, if anybody had the chance to try them both, which ones sounds better?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stefanoo said:

few tips :

- any time , when you are referencing to some schematic ( in so many words and values ) - try to post that schematic ; you can't expect that someone always have time for searching what's in question , and where is that about you are talking

- re-read Cook Book few times ; I just checked - there is page and half, explaining in simple English and technical terms , how Shunty works ... block by block .........

this is Pass forum ...... if nobody else - Papa left so many crumbs and - besides crumbs - so many finished projects , along with technical explanations , so all you need is to invest some energy and collect majority of these pieces , read and learn , build ,read and learn ........

- Shunty vs. Borbely Shunt Reg ..... which is better ?
that's silly question .

better for what ?

:cool:

Zen Mod said:

few tips :

- any time , when you are referencing to some schematic ( in so many words and values ) - try to post that schematic ; you can't expect that someone always have time for searching what's in question , and where is that about you are talking

- re-read Cook Book few times ; I just checked - there is page and half, explaining in simple English and technical terms , how Shunty works ... block by block .........

this is Pass forum ...... if nobody else - Papa left so many crumbs and - besides crumbs - so many finished projects , along with technical explanations , so all you need is to invest some energy and collect majority of these pieces , read and learn , build ,read and learn ........

- Shunty vs. Borbely Shunt Reg ..... which is better ?
that's silly question .

better for what ?

:cool:

mmmm....mmmmm.......i read the cookbook different times.
It's clear but there is no analytic analysis and since i am a newbie i get veerryy along with such analysis.

Building is a nice, of course, love it... and i do build... but only after I have completely understood and analyzed the circuit i am trying to build.
I think it is reasonable, isn't it?

I am reading a lot lately and collecting many of the crumbs around....of course I can't collect them all....
I even took the dust off :) from my electronic 's notebooks from university....I realized i forgot different things....but i am getting back.

Just to see if i understood correctly the circuit though (but i am sure i didn't) and i can't find an answer to this question by reading the cookbook:

assuming Q2/Q3 are ON then there are 140mA sourced to the right side of the shunty by the CCS.
If the load is absorbing, let's say 100mA where does the 40mA difference go?
Accordingly to the simulation i have run on the circuit with Spice, if i put a lets say 120mA current DC generator at the output simulating the load I would get a different Output voltage than the output voltage obtained by using a 100mA current source at the output.

If this is not correct, would anybody be so kind to explain me where my reasoning falls?

With regard to the description i tried to give before...i was just referring to the borbely circuit a member pointed out.
You are right i should have posted it. My apologies
:rolleyes:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
assuming Q2/Q3 are ON then there are 140mA sourced to the right side of the shunty by the CCS.
If the load is absorbing, let's say 100mA where does the 40mA difference go?

:rofl: now - you really amuse me with that ......
where else than to Rome ........ just because all roads are going to Rome

:clown:

spice ....... books .........
these are simple things :

look at differential stage (tip - it works as comparator)
- left side - base of Q5 is fixed to 5V

base of Q4 is comparing voltage on base ( delivered with resistive divider from output) with other side (5V)

base of shunt darlington (Q11) is connected to Q4 collector ( just disregard Q6 cascode ) and it works as .......... say - variable resistor ;

in case that voltage on output is rising , that induce more than 5V potential on Q4 , Q4 conducts more , that induce greater voltage at R12 , that induce that Q11 opens more (decrease apparent resistance) , draws more current , so result is - lowering voltage on output .

easy , isn't it ?

Attachments

• shnt.gif
    shnt.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 375