Puget Sound Speaker Contest 2010!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think this thread needs a bump.
Remember: Saturday, August 28th

I've been pretty busy now that I'm retired, but I'm catching up. My entry for the contest is pretty much finalized, although I intend to pretty it up a bit. I've also seen the measurements on another entry...pretty amazing.... now if it actually sounds good...........

Just a reminder, if your speaker is stand mounted, it's a good idea to bring the stands as well as your entry. We can try to cobble together something at the contest, but your stands will insure that the speaker will be heard to best advantage.

Best Regards,
TerryO

For those who wish to pre-register their entries to the speaker contest, it is $5 per entry along with your name and address and a description of their entry.

The required items in the entry description are as follows:

1. Kit or self designed.

2. Single driver, 2-way, 3 way, etc.

3. Total cost of the speaker with a breakdown as to drivers, crossovers, etc., for both pairs of speakers. The cost of the cabinets or finish are not counted.

4. Description of the crossover topography and frequencies involved.

5. What drivers are used (make and model #).

Please see rules if there are questions.

Please make out checks to the Pacific Northwest Audio Society

Registration forms and checks need to be sent to:

Pacific Northwest Audio Society
P.O. Box 435
Mercer Island, WA. 98014

Best Regards,
TerryO

Anyone know the hours it'll be happening?

I do!

Actually it depends on the number of entries involved, as to the time that the Contest ends with the presentation of the awards. The doors open at around 9:00 and the judging will begin around 9:30am. It's a pretty good idea to have your entry there at 9:00 when the Contest begins, as we try to have all the evaluations done by 4:30 to 5:00 pm.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Just a reminder, "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" is this Saturday, August 28th.

Attendance is free, entries are $10 per pair at the door. Standmount speakers should be accompanied by their own stands if possible.

Hope to see you there!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Pix to start things out

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 251

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Report from Puget Sound DIY speaker contest

I was able to attend the meet and I have pics.

The event was very well organized. There was a room where the judging happened. Then was a general floor area for people to mingle and talk audio. There was another room where the speakers were measured and every contestant got a copy of the FR response. Sweet!

Finally, in another room, contestants got to show off their speakers and woo the listening public, and on the same gear the judges were using no less.

The gear was simple and hi-end. An oppo blu-ray player and a Genesis KT-88 integrated 60wpc (i think) amp.

Attachments

• IMG_5966.JPG
    IMG_5966.JPG
    945.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_5960.JPG
    IMG_5960.JPG
    950.2 KB · Views: 266

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Next we got to listen to Carl's voight pipe design using the classic Tannoy dual concentric driver. This definitely made an impression on me. Coherance similar to a full-range driver and good, deep bass.

Attachments

• IMG_5961.JPG
    IMG_5961.JPG
    912.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_5962.JPG
    IMG_5962.JPG
    772.9 KB · Views: 118

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There was a FE206 back loaded horn, with a twist - a passive radiator on the back. This was another great sounding design. Bass, but not as deep or as much slam as the tannoy, but still very good. To my ears, it outdid the tannoy slightly on spoken words/vocals.

Attachments

• IMG_5963.JPG
    IMG_5963.JPG
    869.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5964.JPG
    IMG_5964.JPG
    834.6 KB · Views: 150

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I got to listen to one more speaker before leaving. That one was TerryO's line array. TerryO claims that he got the bunch of tiny drivers for a dollar each. Looking at the drivers, it didn't look far fetched. However, what the drivers lacked in appearance, they more than made up for in sound.

Deep, deep soundstange. And solid all around. They had a narrow sweet spot, and I'm sure Terry can elaborate on that, but they did sound nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    857.5 KB · Views: 4,576
  • IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5980.JPG
    882.1 KB · Views: 137

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is the measurement set up, with the 'money' speaker being measured. The most original finish!

There were also these speakers made of vine. I think these were Terry's also. Quite unique.

Attachments

• IMG_5965.JPG
    IMG_5965.JPG
    855.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5978.JPG
    IMG_5978.JPG
    924.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5977.JPG
    IMG_5977.JPG
    879.1 KB · Views: 147
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.