• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSU for testing circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I am just getting into vacuum tubes, so the first thing that I will need is a test bench power supply for investigating different preamp circuits.

If I build a variable supply it will take me ages, so it makes sense for me to buy one.

I figure a variable supply up to 400V at 100mA, with a separate 6.3 V / high-ish current supply for the heaters. Does this sound sensible?

What would you recommend?
Are they available in the UK?

Keep your eyes out for a Heathkit IP 2717. I got one off ebay a good while ago and they occasionally turn up. It's got 6.3V and 12V heater supplies at a few amps apeice, variable 400VDC at 100mA (125mA peak) and a variable 100VDC at 1mA. There's V and I panel meters for the DC outputs.

It's also useful for reforming old caps too...

Had to replace the 4mm banana posts on mine as the threads had seized on a few, other than that it works fine with good clean DC outputs under load.

Cheers,
ChrisC. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.