[Project] Parabolic speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'd like to build the best quality possible parabolic speaker as a prototype first and then for home offices.
I have made few designs, gathering the pieces to get the parabolic part done. What I miss is a partner to guide me on the electronics/acoustic parts. I'm capable of learning but it will take way more time than having a partner.
Ideally we'd share the design principles here so that anyone from the community can build his own one.

Here are the few first designs, any help or feedback would be much appreciated !

modele.png

modele — ImgBB

cheers,

JLo

Last edited:
500 mm diameter is too small to focus low to mid frequencies. There are commercial parabolic loudspeakers hanging from the ceiling, but they have diameter bigger than 750mm.
Headphones are much better and cheaper solution for a person working on a desk.

A short list of what you are trying to accomplish is worth adding also. Things like:

1) Frequency range you expect the reflector to operate across. At lower frequencies the sound will wrap around the reflector, leading to more sound leakage to surroundings.

2) Distance from reflector to listener.

3) SPL you want at the listener vs. that leaked to the rest of the room. If this can vary with frequency, that should be defined.

4) SPL you expect to need from the speaker at what distance (directly, not including what the reflector does). Low and high frequency limits for this output would also help.

Hello guys,

thanks for your quick reply.
> Sonce
I won't go much beyond 500mm as this speaker is supposed to be put on top of a desk (maybe 600mm max).
It is supposed to be an alternative to headset as I'm tired of having headset on my ears all day long.

> MattStat
1) I don't expect much bass in daily use as the bass propagate in open air which goes against the purpose of relative isolation. Still I would enjoy a "bass mode" that could be activated on demand if you know you won't disturb anyone. So I can't define a precise range as I'm not an expert bu I hope you see what I mean

2) Distance from edge to listener would be approx 500mm as per schema attached.

3) & 4) Honestly SPL is were I struggle defining anything. I expect it to deliver the best that can be done in term of SPL range mitigating the form factor and the usage in open air vs not disturbing your neighbor.

My idea was to use a 7cm full range speaker and tweak the overall system.
Use a very reflective surface for the interior of the parabola.
Use overall a sandwich of wood/cork/wool/cork/wood for my parabola.

Maybe you can help me at defining what you think is reasonnable for missing parameters?

cheers,

JLo

In fact I seek for help on multiple topics:
1) Is there a blocking factor in my project that prevents any kind of fidelity for any range with an acceptable usage.

2) What do you recommend in terms of reflection surface for the interior?

3) Do you think my insulation strategy: cork/wool/cork sandwich + wave traps is relevant for my purpose?

4) As soon as I manage to get the parabola done, which speaker do you suggest I try? It should be excellent in mediums, not too directional, max 9cm of diameter. I can buy multiple one to try them out.

5) As an input to this speaker, what kind of embedded amplifier should I bring on + circuitry to enable a plug & play approach for users on their office plus to allow me specter fine tuning? In the mind of DIY, the easiness should be a criterion.

all the best !
As it's a whole amplified project, feel free to share with people from other parts of the forum you think might be interested (I'll post some quick links).

Hello,
Could you tell me what is the objective of your device please ?
What are you trying to do ?

The purpose behind this device is to allow listening to music without headset and without annoying people in the room, like a traditional speaker but aiming at reducing the spread of sound in the room.
The purpose is to deliver the top quality that a device with such usage can deliver (meaning that poor bass for standard use is ok).
The purpose is to make it with really nice material so that it's a pleasure to have it home on top of the listening experience.
I'm pretty sure it can sell so we would then attempt a commercial use and more industrial/small serie production.

Did I answer your question or are you referring to some other goals?

cheers,

JLo

In fact I seek for help on multiple topics:
1) Is there a blocking factor in my project that prevents any kind of fidelity for any range with an acceptable usage.
2) What do you recommend in terms of reflection surface for the interior?
3) Do you think my insulation strategy: cork/wool/cork sandwich + wave traps is relevant for my purpose?
1. Laws of physics. Low and lower mid frequencies will not be focused from 500 mm parabola (or 1000mm) and will escape out. You can have some fidelity, but there will be no isolation for other persons in the room.
2. Any hard enough material - plastic, etc.
3. No, the "wave traps" will not help. Sandwich with (glass)wool in the middle will absorb some of the mid frequencies, but nothing in the low spectra. It is impossible to get isolation this way.

Bottom line: try some neckband loudspeakers: Bose SoundWear Companion, JBL Soundgear, Sony SRS-WS1, Long Run Technologies Neckband Wearable.
Amazon.com: Wearable Speaker: Bluetooth Wireless Neckband Personal Neck Body Handsfree Mic FM Radio SD Card Microphone Portable Sport Gym Workout Travel Running Biking All iPhone iPad Android Smartphones Tablets: Home Audio & Theater

The purpose behind this device is to allow listening to music without headset and without annoying people in the room, like a traditional speaker but aiming at reducing the spread of sound in the room.
The purpose is to deliver the top quality that a device with such usage can deliver (meaning that poor bass for standard use is ok).
There are commercial parabolic loudspeaker, but they are designed for speech only (museums, galleries, etc), see photo below:
SoundTube SS30-C Secret Sound Sound-Focusing Parabolic Speaker

Other companies claim good music reproduction, but the parabola diameter is 800mm:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5703ebc427d4bd5dac71feeb/t/57069753746fb94121b9e168/1460049749586/Single+Localizer+Sound+Dome.pdf

Attachments

• single+localizer.jpg
    single+localizer.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
I confirm you're working against the laws of physics, and physics always win.
The only time I managed to meet the expectations is not for music, it was a modern art exhibit with Max Neuhaus at the Centre d'art contemporain of Grenoble. But the "Sound line", with linear parabolic reflectors, was nearly 100M long.

If it were my project, I'd start with very simple materials and a simple design that can be worked quickly. Get a feel for what kind of focus you can get with the size reflector you want to use. All you really need initially is something that's not absorptive. That's most materials you'd want to work with anyway: thin wood, thin plastics, stiff cardboard, etc. If they wind up being resonant or transmitting too much sound through, add some simple sheet damping to the exterior.

For small speakers that don't require high output, I like the following one. To my ears, it's one of the least-flawed full range drivers I've tried in the under 10 cm size range.

Peerless by Tymphany TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range
Peerless by Tymphany TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range

For amplification/equalization, I'd suggest something like a miniDSP unit. They aren't cheap, but they are quite flexible and you'd be able to easily switch between different equalization modes. They have a small amplifier that piggybacks on their DSP unit also.

1. Laws of physics. Low and lower mid frequencies will not be focused from 500 mm parabola (or 1000mm) and will escape out. You can have some fidelity, but there will be no isolation for other persons in the room.
2. Any hard enough material - plastic, etc.
3. No, the "wave traps" will not help. Sandwich with (glass)wool in the middle will absorb some of the mid frequencies, but nothing in the low spectra. It is impossible to get isolation this way.

Bottom line: try some neckband loudspeakers: Bose SoundWear Companion, JBL Soundgear, Sony SRS-WS1, Long Run Technologies Neckband Wearable.
Amazon.com: Wearable Speaker: Bluetooth Wireless Neckband Personal Neck Body Handsfree Mic FM Radio SD Card Microphone Portable Sport Gym Workout Travel Running Biking All iPhone iPad Android Smartphones Tablets: Home Audio & Theater

Thanks for the feedback and alternatives but I really aim at making it real.
So what I understand that all of it could work at least partially with the mid-range frequencies.
That would fit with a wide range of usage for me such as calm music, voice, audio books for kids, etc.

Those devices were outrageously expensive last time I checked out (not that specific brand).
In the 0.5-1K range, around the same price of a parabolic speaker.

Thanks for the feedback and alternatives but I really aim at making it real.
So what I understand that all of it could work at least partially with the mid-range frequencies.
That would fit with a wide range of usage for me such as calm music, voice, audio books for kids, etc.

Open headphones are noisy in the far field, some of my coleges have used various types in the open space and we was able to hear them far away.

Oh, the prices drop to a very acceptable level! Thanks for the information!

Open headphones are noisy in the far field, some of my coleges have used various types in the open space and we was able to hear them far away.
Yes, that is inevitable. But parabolic speaker are not perfect also.
Ultrasonic high directivity loudspeakers are the best performing technology for highly focused sound. Also much smaller dimension than parabolic speakers. And with good prices now.

thanks for the feedback mattstat, that's exactly the kind of help I was needing. I'll have a look to the HP.
I did try with papier mâché and an old bluetooth speaker unit but could not achieve the parabola, just a kind of rounded cone

I have now made the model to 3D print it, I'll try with that.
For the HP, I will definitely add this one to my tests, thanks !

Yes, I never really envisaged openspaces as a valid usecase. Only individual office, remote spot for audio-conference, audio book listening.
As stated by other members, sound always win and diffuse to the outer space if you don't stop it. And luckily enough humans have good ears to detect even low sounds from distance :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.