• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Problem with Quicksilver amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tube_Dude

Why don't I just change the 22 ohm resistor back to 220 ohm and the 562ohm to 5k? This will make Frank happy and it will then jive with the 8417 schematic that I posted.

Note: I think the credit for finding this 8417 schematic actually goes to Wheezer because I believe he posted it first.

Now, what value of bias pot will allow both the usage of 6550 and Kt88 tubes?

What about using EL34's also?

Is anyone familiar with the Quicksilver mod that uses a 6922 in the front end?

Joe

Making Frank happy....

Why don't I just change the 22 ohm resistor back to 220 ohm and the 562ohm to 5k? This will make Frank happy and it will then jive with the 8417 schematic that I posted.

Of course nothing wrong against it...as even the polarisation of the first valve is a litle "out of tune" with the 22 Ohm...put it as in the schematic! ;)

But when i say:

"You must use the 562 ohms resistor if the lower is 22...!!!" i think that was clear that will be only in case that you want keep the 22 in the lower position...

What about using EL34's also?

Guess!...Is my favorit tube (specialy in the NOS Mullard incarnation!!) :cool:

Regards

Frank

I think I will stay with the KT88 and 6550's for primary tubes. I would be interested in how the EL34's would sound. I just happened to have a few. LOL

I thought you might have a different front end for me to try since you are so knowledgeable on the Quicksilvers.

slowmotion

Do you still have your 8417's? What ideas/comments/help could you lend me since you have also own/owned the Quickey?

Tube_Dude

Thanks so much for the help. I would be interested in any ideas if you would care to share them.

Joe

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
QUICK MODS.

Hi,

I thought you might have a different front end for me to try since you are so knowledgeable on the Quicksilvers.

Thanks for the compliment...:cool:

The front end I like best is the one on the schematic you posted, get good tubes there and it will reward you with a different sound.
It is pretty much a matter of taste really, I always liked the 5751s (unless RIAA correction depends on the parameters of the 12AX7s).

But don't let the differences drive you crazy, try to enjoy the music.

You could fiddle with upgrading passives components, a bit of silver wire and such if you must.

Cheers,;)

Tube_Dude design ideas....

Thanks so much for the help. I would be interested in any ideas if you would care to share them.

What i will do if you amp was mine (read this as just my opinion)!

-First a volume pot at the input(gone is the noise and distortion of the preamp)!

-A 2.2K resistor in the wiper and the grid of the first tube (grid stopper) !

- A 100uF capacitor across the 820 OHms resistor in the cathode of the first tube

-In the phase spliter i don't do anything as it was my favorite!

-And finally i will put the output stage in pentode operation (as i don't like de sound of ultralinear output stage)

-And yes i will drop in the EL34 ;)

Then i relaxed and listen....

Cheers :drink:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
A MATTER OF TASTE, I SAID?

Bom dia,

-A 2.2K resistor in the wiper and the grid of the first tube (grid stopper) !

Think hard on this...it just kills microdynamics, if you don't need them don't use them.
If you need them, use the smallest possible value.

A 100uF capacitor across the 820 OHms resistor in the cathode of the first tube

I wouldn't do that either, the ECC83 has plenty of gain already, Zo may be on the high side but I still prefer it as is.It reduces distortion without the slow trnsient response of the bypass cap and you may overload the next stage.

-First a volume pot at the input(gone is the noise and distortion of the preamp)!

You could drill extra holes in the chassis, gone is the resale value though.

-And yes i will drop in the EL34

Other than the US 6CA7, I find the European EL34 rather anemic in the bass department.

Cheers,;)

Bonne nuit!

Think hard on this...it just kills microdynamics, if you don't need them don't use them

I suposed that is clear that with a pot at the input... the grid stoper is a must...if not...oscilation!!!!!!
Without a pot...can be!

I wouldn't do that either, the ECC83 has plenty of gain already, Zo may be on the high side but I still prefer it as is.It reduces distortion without the slow trnsient response of the bypass cap and you may overload the next stage.

That really i don´t understand...actualy the capacitor reduces distortion as it increased the open loop gain...

Take a look at the Mullard 20 and others...:nod:
You could drill extra holes in the chassis, gone is the resale value though.

But who cares about resale value ...for me the quest is for better sound...(call me fundamentalist...)hehehehe....
Other than the US 6CA7, I find the European EL34 rather anemic in the bass department.

I have warned you that they are my prefered output tubes (i like also the 7591A)...

Anemic in the bass department?...ad a sub woffer...:cool:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CARAMBA.

Hi,

I suposed that is clear that with a pot at the input... the grid stoper is a must...if not...oscilation!!!!!!

On penthodes perhaps and in some situations maybe, but not generally.

That really i don´t understand...actualy the capacitor reduces distortion as it increased the open loop gain...

No.With a cathode bypass the gain is increased > increase of gain > increase of distortion.

Anemic in the bass department?...ad a sub woffer...

Yeah, what else Jorge?...Vitamins? Ginseng?

Bona nid ,(Catalan):cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.