• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Problem with Quicksilver amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was listening to crystal clear music only to have it interupted by some nasty sounding static and noise. I traced this down to a Mica? small value cap on pin 3 of the output tube socket. I had a small value cap rated at 600volts so I replaced it to see what happens. It was clean sounding again.

Question :

Anyone know the value of this cap, I haven't seen one of these in over 40yrs. It looks like it has been hot and I can't read the paint dot scheme that would probably tell me what the heck it was. The schematic looks like it shows 100UF or is it PF?

Also there is a 5K resistor shown in the feedback on the schematic and their is a 562 ohm in the amp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Joe,

If you can't post the schematic can you tell us what the output tube is? It would then be possible to determine the function of the cap and possible values from the pin connections...

(i.e. if pin three is the cathode, 100uf would be ok as a cathode bypass, but if pin three was the anode, then with 100uf you wouldn't be hearing anything!)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

(i.e. if pin three is the cathode, 100uf would be ok as a cathode bypass,

It connects from pin 3 (the anode of a 8417) to the NFB loop and EC8010 is correct 100pF is the value.

Also there is a 5K resistor shown in the feedback on the schematic and their is a 562 ohm in the amp.

If that 562R is correct than that's a hell of a lot of FB.

Cheers,;)

Frank

Yup its a 562ohm 1% nasty looking black resistor about the thickness of my little finger and I would assume its a 3 or 5 watt job. The resistor is going to be replaced per the 8417 conversion guide that was on the board a while back. I think I will use somewhere around 270 ohm.

I wasn't able to purchase a mica capacitor but did snag a 100pf/600volt film to replace the original.

What are the correct values of the resistors on the cathode of the 12AX7 to ground? I think I can see a 820 but the other value is blurred on my schematic.

Any suggestions for hot rodding this garage amp?

Per Mike at Quicksilver the impedance of the output transformer is Quote "Closer to 3900 ohms" not 4200ohms.

The schematic I posted looks much better than what printed off for me.

Joe

Attachments

• qs8417amp.jpg
    qs8417amp.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 474
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
QS.

Hi Joe,

Yup its a 562ohm 1% nasty looking black resistor about the thickness of my little finger and I would assume its a 3 or 5 watt job. The resistor is going to be replaced per the 8417 conversion guide that was on the board a while back. I think I will use somewhere around 270 ohm.

Ouch,even more FB?..Beyond me really, why? What board you mean?

I wasn't able to purchase a mica capacitor but did snag a 100pf/600volt film to replace the original.

Should be fine.

What are the correct values of the resistors on the cathode of the 12AX7 to ground? I think I can see a 820 but the other value is blurred on my schematic.

820R on top and 220R at the bottom.

Any suggestions for hot rodding this garage amp?

Depends on what you want to achieve.

Per Mike at Quicksilver the impedance of the output transformer is Quote "Closer to 3900 ohms" not 4200ohms.

He should know, the ones I saw had 4K2 written on the OPTs but who am I, right?;)

Cheers,;)

5k or 562 Ohms...

Also there is a 5K resistor shown in the feedback on the schematic and their is a 562 ohm in the amp

If the feedback resistor it was 562 Ohms the voltage gain of your amp wil be 3,5X ...so with a 1Volt input you only get 3.5 Volt at the output...

So definitively must be 5k ...for the voltage gain to be 24 X..

What are the correct values of the resistors on the cathode of the 12AX7 to ground? I think I can see a 820 but the other value is blurred on my schematic

It seems to be 220 Ohms :)

Regards

Bad news!

Taking the 8R path is only increasing FB even more since the series resistance from 8R to 16R isn't there anymore.

Actualy is the oposite...the feedback will be decreased...

The output transformer as more voltage gain in the 16 Ohms tap so the open loop voltage gain is greater..
When you change for the 8 Ohm tap the open loop voltage gain is reduced...so the feedback will be decreased...

Um abração! ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HIBERNATION...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Hi,

PS. In your part of bellgium what is the oficial language?

Officially, that would be Flemish....the city being on the bordeline of three provinces we have about a fifty-fifty population here.
Half Flemish, half French speaking (I wouldn't call it French though, it's more like a dialect).

Ciao, ;)

Thanks Frank

You know of the condition of this pair of 8417's that I have. I'm sure they have had their share of little hands in them. If you say its a 5K I will change them to 5K resistors. This does answer my questions as to why the 220ohm resistors had been changed to a different value.

Frank

I have set number three of mono block Quicksilvers headed my way. These are virgins and have extra 8417 tubes. I guess I'm stuck on them.

Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.