Pre Preamp - what type of components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the CCT of the pre preamp I am thinking of building, could anyone inform me what would be reasonable components to use, not values but type.
I know different types of caps etc. in certain paths alter the sound, but don't know which to use where.

The components are:

Q1 2n4401
Q2 2n4403
R1 100k
R2 330k
R3 & R4 1M
C1 0,1 microfarad
C2, C3 & C8 100 picofarad
C4, C5, C6 & C7 100microfarad

Maybe this can serve as inspiration. This has optic psu:)

Attachments

• mcheadamp.jpg
    mcheadamp.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 130
The 2200uf can be replaced with 1000uf 6,3v + 220uf or more OS-CONS for less resistance at higher frequenzies. The 40r2 resistor should have the value recommended for load of your cartridge.
This setup works great by the way, i have used it for many years:)

I built a similar circuit years ago, with BD167/BD168 power transistors. They were recommended for lowest noise. Also the capacitors between each base and GND totally destroyed the sound. On removing them the circuit began to sing... This is a good example for theory and sound quality being on different tracks...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.