PPI 2150 died.. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All is good. the speaker box I was using to test had a shorted woofer in it... Using a different set of speakers now, music is playing and current is peaking at maybe 6 or 7A.

Spoke to soon. Power cuts at high volume. Power shuts off for a second or two, then comes right back on. Almost like a thermal power down, but I can recreate it when the amp is cold (just turned it on).

If I am only running one channel (either) it plays fine.. Seems like the power supply can't keep up? I don't think it is my bench supply.

FWIW, I replaced all of the Z44's with ones from Mouser to make sure they were "real".

Did you measure the 12v supply input to see if it was dropping when the amp shut off?

That's most likely the problem.

Yes, and I did not see it drop significantly. I increased the voltage to 14.5, made no difference.

Was going to also test the high voltage while playing (through the DIN plug), but did not get to it yet.

I may just try it in the car, and see how it goes.

That could be the short-circuit protection in the amplifier. Those only have thermal and output short protection. The thermal protection isn't fast acting.

Hmm.. So maybe the 30 year old Bazzoka tubes that have been sitting in my garage unused for the last 15 years are not the best way to test this.. :p

Hoping to have some time to install the amplifier back in to the car. Been using an Infinity RSA 250 for the past few years that has worked well. I'd leave that in there, but my OCD says the entire system should match and be PPI.

Because not enough current is being drawn to trigger it. What's likely happening is you don't have enough bench supply current or voltage to keep the power supply in the amp happy, and when that happens it shuts off and attempts to go online again. If you look at the power supply FET gates with a scope when it's happening you'll likely see them being driven to near 100% duty cycle, which indicates that it's drawing all the current your bench supply can dish out but still coming up short. So what is your bench supply rated at?

Because not enough current is being drawn to trigger it. What's likely happening is you don't have enough bench supply current or voltage to keep the power supply in the amp happy, and when that happens it shuts off and attempts to go online again. If you look at the power supply FET gates with a scope when it's happening you'll likely see them being driven to near 100% duty cycle, which indicates that it's drawing all the current your bench supply can dish out but still coming up short. So what is your bench supply rated at?

Yeah, I still need to test it in the car.. That may be a while.

My bench supply is a Lambda LK351-FM. Sticker on it says 25A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.