Powered PA Speaker for Bass and Guitar at Home

That's exactly right man but for the purpose of actual usage, this can be termed latency free, as it's thoroughably usable with well-thought-out parts in proper chains

Sending a guitar out over a mixer channel to PC to apply software VST amp/cab sims and returning that to the mix with another live instrument not in that chain is not the path forward in combating latency in such an environment. A pedal with the sims in between the guitar and mixer on the other hand is

None of this is quite applicable to the OP but is meant to address the latency in a live and soft mix thingy

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I disagree about your case: all digital gear i used as either preamp multifx in a live chain shouldn't produce enough latency to be an issue for other players ( it being a pc or a boss GX700 or Two notes torpedo - all three i've used or use). For the pc it's a matter to optimise the setting... which can be difficult for non tech nerd.

But overall i think we agree. ;)

Did a quick look, all the open mics seem to be in bars local to Vancouver WA. There's the Brickhouse however, that touts being family friendly "bring the kids" that has one "Wednesday’s: Open Mic hosted by Douche Bag (Sign up start @ 7:pm)" where they also say minors allowed until 9:00 PM, unsure how that would work out...if you wait to get called up at, say, 9:01.

I saw another family oriented one, but that's all the way down in Hillsboro. The one I go to is in a marijuana dispensary called the Green Lady, where they have two sides, the other being the coffee shop lounge / performance space. One time there were so many performers I didnt even get to play and it went to 10:30. That was a little heartbreaking; the guy running it wouldnt cut back to two songs / performer, so everyone who signed up could play. I told him I'd gladly give up a song, so another performer could get up - unsure what was so sacred about 3 in his mind.

At the one I go to, they have a Behringer Xenyx 1202 without the effects and the two EV PA speakers. So you get to see a little of what tech people are using. As I just saw you can get the one with the effects for $50 on Reverb, the venues investment in sound production is minimal. It works fine, so there's really no incentive to upgrade. I'm sure the guy running it would just turn that part off, as he does the channel compressors... Remember, everyone has their opinion on how it should sound. You get to experience that too -

Reactions: 1 user
Going around forums presenting selected bits of information and responding by abstaining to elaborate on request just smacks of trying to create a contentious discussion to sit back and milk validation and that kind of forum etiquette is what I meant by displaying poor form
Randy, I don't understand what is it that I am doing or not doing that is so upsetting? Honestly, not my intention. I am trying to figure out an incremental update to my setup, to learn and have a good relaxed time talking about these things along the way.

I might have not answered some questions - do you really need those answers? If you do, please ask again or point me, and I'll try to answer. But in general, I answer what I find interesting at this time. And it's not like I am particularly right about it or anything: like, I don't feel like building a custom speaker right now but i don't object to it on principle, I just don't want to right now. I appreciate everyone's time and effort but I mean - we are not at a deposition right? :)

As for contentious discussion, I don't know man... Not that I see nor try to do any of that. Why would I?

This is what I've been doing indeed. I will try to share something once I put together something half decent: in fact, tonight we played a simple rock song with my daughter, with a drum machine and even me singing, and it sounded maybe ok.

I have the interface setup for the minimal possible latency anyway because I want to try plugins some time soon but I haven't yet. But I can play and monitor through the computer and back to the deck without noticeable latency.

It is not very stable: once in a while the interface crashes, and I have to restart the daw. So definitely not a professional level. But it does the job so far.

@krivium @Markw4 @Randy Bassinga Crocobar is already recording on Linux. Latency is not an issue, since he monitors from mixer before it goes to pc. Am I right @Crocobar ?
Cheers!

@Markw4 Isn't it important to use sound card with ASIO drivers if one wish to have low in-out latency? -I don't understand much about computer, but I've seen lower latency mentioned when using ASIO in serious rewiews.
Cheers!
Errr was responding to your interest in latency man.......addressed to you ;)

viable, all I need from the PA Speaker is to be transparent and handle the necessary load. And be as replaceable and uninteresting as possible.
I don't think any of the boxes in OP are transparent. I only heard an Alto and that took a lot of EQ to sound fairly transparent. I've sold Samson gear and its serious good stuff. That was 25 years, so have no idea about their boombox. -Its probably very fine. Its prize reflects the step up in quality compared to the others.
I believe folks who say that getting the dedicated instrument amp will likely get the best tone in the most straightforward way but then I am stuck with this amp combo if I want my tone, and I don't want that
Oh! That's not bad thinking. Makes you more
free to explore all kinds of "amp-types" "virtually"😄, instead of being limited to one amp. Im sure along the way you will eventually fall in love with a specific amp. Oh! I wish I had a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cab. They are terribly expensive in Europe. Not so much in us I was told. Love that sound.
Cheers!

Or The C-Rock as they call him in Vancouver.
Hahahahaha!!! I gotta remember that!!

If anyone cares, the story behind the crocobar handle is as follows: my first name is Gena, which is a common Russian name, and also the name of the famous cartoon crocodile: Gena-the-crocodile from a Soviet children book and cartoon. So, my whole childhood that was how they teased me. I realized early on that the way to fight it is to embrace it, so Croco for shortness. But that's too common, I had to modify it. I am a particle physics by training, we deal a lot with particles and their antiparticle companions. The anti is usually marked with a bar, as in b - bbar for a pair of b and anti b quarks.

Enter Crocobar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The current status: there are indications that I'm getting this Samson speaker for my birthday, which is in a couple of months. :) If that pans out, I'll let everybody know then. :) Amazon dropped the price to $200, which I figure is not a bad deal at all. I don't mind the delay too much: it's not like I have nothing to play with, besides work is kinda busy, and spring is here in our neck of woods - tons to do in the yard. :)

I was wondering what happened! Now I can bid away on one of these - just kidding...

Another OEM ratifying the audio production usefulness of. I'd buy this model over that other one, just for the panel feature.

Samson.png

When I played bass (all those years ago...) I loved my MXR Dynacomp. It was like stepping on an organ pedal, or one of those floor bass pedal synths. Sustain easily accommodating most musical phrases I was supporting down there. Hold that note like riding a wave.

Try her in her own channel, just to see if she likes it. There's two!

Back then I joined with these two; guitarist and drummer who had some good songs and vocals. Guitar player had a GR synth and also tried to simultaneously use a bass pedal synth. He told me, nothin like the feeling of being up on stage in front of everyone, while stepping on the wrong pedal. Not his exact words...