• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"PowerDrive": how to choose the right MOSFET part?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Zintolo,
I'm no expert on mosfets (or anything else) but I think Fig 11 Capacitance Variations in the data sheet
https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/stu9hn65m2.pdf
shows Crss to be sorta constant for Vds from less than V to about 10V, then dropping from 10V to 100V (Vds) where it becomes constant again......and perhaps importantly......very low.
I hope someone will correct me if I'm mistaken
best
t

Forgot to mention, the above has internal gate protection, so no need to add a zener to prevent gate breakthrough. Tests for capacitance done at 1MHz and 25V

This next one though has lower capacitance and no protection diode. I have some, but havent tested them yet.--

AOT1N60 Data sheet suggests 800mA, 600V, 41W P-Diss, Crss 1.8pF, Coss 14.5pF,--testing conditions as above, from datasheet.

When searching for mosfets or most semiconductors, I just use Digikey's search feature.

I have used the AOT1N60 and it works fine. I would recommend a 15 volt zener from gate to source to avoid incidents. I still have a bunch that I bought maybe 2 years ago.

I tend to prefer mosfets with insulated cases whenever possible. I tend to have exposed heat sinks in my test boards and either get zapped or spark things out when poking around. At the rate I blow up fets I gave up on insulators.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.