Power needs across audio spectrum in active setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ha ha, yes! 100dB/watt midrange is probably going to be horn loaded. Maybe there is a direct radiator mid that can do 100dB across its bandwidth, but I don't know it.

Hello Pano

Well there is at last one I know of the JBL 2123 10" midrange. I use them in my basement system they sound very good over their range 300-1.5K.

Rob:)

Attachments

• 2123 pg2.jpg
    2123 pg2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 58
Yes, it's quite a step forward in determining loudness levels. The K-weighting takes into account the sensitivity of the ear, while the gating eliminates the worries of differing RMS across the song or track.

The K-weighting would not be used in our situation of figuring out the peaks and averages of each band. The gating could be useful but I have not found it to be a big deal with most music tracks. For dialog it could make a significant difference.
My Elac Discovery server/streamer has a auto leveling system graduated in lufs, each streaming service uses a different level and some even have no leveling between tracks, so you pick the lufs scale in settings and the elac will hold that level whether the source is softer or louder without changing the dynamic range. It works really well and is indistinguishable between on/defeat except the level is always, well.....level when it’s on!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
But to me, even without peak, the trend is pretty clear as to where power and headroom are needed.
To me that makes it very clear where those speakers need the voltage. Nice work! :up: Without the peaks, tho, it's not clear to me where headroom is needed, although one can well imagine that HF and VHF will have plenty.

Well there is at last one I know of the JBL 2123 10" midrange.
Wow, sweet. It really is 100dB even after you flatten it. That's loud!

My Elac Discovery server/streamer has a auto leveling system graduated in lufs
And it does this real time? How much latency does it need to do that?
Of course in JRiver (and others) you can do the same sort of leveling, but the files have to be analyzed before they are played. It doesn't work on streaming AFAIK.

Elac plays close to the vest, they diverge very little information regarding how it works, I’m assuming there’s no other way but real time.....there may be a buffer involved? I do notice a slight lip sync delay when playing tidal videos but thought that might just be ‘the way it is’ due to airplay discrepancies between the audio/video......I’ll try the videos with it defeated and see if I can tell the difference.
I rarely use it for that anyway.....neat little piece that really didn’t get any respect (yet anyhow). It’s a Discovery ds-s101-g if you can find anything on it.

Edit...after seeing level ‘when loudness is unkown’ it makes me think there may be a carrier riding the streaming feed to tell what the level was when sent ?

Attachments

• 1E6929F1-8F50-4DBC-A389-2A87BEC83121.png
    1E6929F1-8F50-4DBC-A389-2A87BEC83121.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 5BE76109-665A-49EF-91D3-85A1EA8398BC.png
    5BE76109-665A-49EF-91D3-85A1EA8398BC.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.