power bd1000a issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amplifier blew a while back, and I finally got around to looking at this BD1000. I have removed Q101-Q112, Q5-Q12, Q17-Q20 as they were all blown. I have also found a resistors R83 (i think board ink is hard to read) being blown, and R99 is...missing? I have check a lot of the diodes, and the appear to be OK. Is there anything else I should check on this before I ordering all of these parts?

I have removed all of the blown components. If I have B+, GND, and the remote power wire it.. shorts, but not enough to blow the inline 5A fuse as everything just goes to 0v. Once I disconnect the B+ (remote power still connected) I get some voltages around the board as an example like on U14 pins 14 and 17 I have 13v. Any guidance with this I would be very appreciative.

Last edited:
yeah I don't buy parts on ebay. I'll buy them from Mouser or digikey, but mostly from Mouser since it's 1-2 days shipping :)

I have cleaned up all the excess solder, and cleaned up the board so there's no solder joints. I did however lift a couple pads so I'll have to fix those, but can't see those causing the short. Anyways it doesn't draw excessive current as it doesn't blow the inline 5A fuse, but it does zero out the voltage if B+ is connected. Figured with all the blown parts removed it would still have 13v between B+ and GND. That is unless there's another part shorted, or a solder joint or something that I'm overlooking.

I do have a scope, but it's inoperable at the moment. It's a semi-old Sencore PS163, and one of my leads basically disintegrated. I've been contemplating on purchasing a newer one, but haven't done any research on them yet. I only do this stuff as a hobby so I never thought of buying a new one until here recently.

Last edited:
So attempting to hunt down this short, but still no luck. I need to pickup some air duster or freeze spray to see if maybe the shorted part will become obvious. I've tested many diodes, removed parts, and test other parts in line from the schematic. Still haven't pinpointed where it's at. I got the rest of the parts from mouser already so I guess that's a plus.

Well i found a hairline solder bridge on pins 2 and 3 on Q12. wow that was intense finding that little guy. Time to put all the parts back in. I did remove the 4 leads from the transformer on Q9-Q12, and it magically no longer was shorted. I looked over everything again with a magnifying glass again, and noticed that little guy. dang what a journey this has been so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.