Point-to-Point LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
zygibajt - Very nice so far!! I am looking forward to seeing how you make the rest of the connections.

Well it is ot so far. The amp was built some 5 years ago when the whole GC chip amps boom exploded. It is supplied with Yuasa batteries and there is the charger behind them. The black power switch does not supply power (the circuit is soldered directly to batteries) but it switches the charger to batteries on anf off both negative and positive rail so when I'm listening only the batteries are connected to circuit. In the mean time I change all the wires to Cardas chassis wires, here with Vampire Cast copper ones. By today this GC is unused and the batteries are dead after extensive use for the past years. I'm more into class A amps by today. It is extremely important to keep the loop: negative cap/chip/positive cap as short as possible hence my pictures in this post. This makes the chip way stable and not reactive to capacitive loads.

img9421o.jpg

img9409b.jpg

img9423s.jpg

img9432y.jpg

img9434z.jpg

img9445y.jpg

img9458n.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

img9469p.jpg

img9472k.jpg

img9483x.jpg

img9500kr.jpg

img9508q.jpg

img9512e.jpg

img9520.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, it was Saunders. :D

No, I am not going there today, instead I'm hiking. :)

Do look thorough the tubes - they are selling an estate, and there is some wild stuff there lately!.

Do drop me a PM the next time you need to head that way, I would be happy to meet up there and then grab a cup of coffee and chat audio!

Yes, it was Saunders. :D

No, I am not going there today, instead I'm hiking. :)

Do look thorough the tubes - they are selling an estate, and there is some wild stuff there lately!.

Do drop me a PM the next time you need to head that way, I would be happy to meet up there and then grab a cup of coffee and chat audio!

I ended up making only a quick pass through for switches.

OT: I culled a batch of tubes right after they got the batch in, grabbed some 12BH7As and a bunch of rectifier tubes... Will touch base, Drop me a PM next time you go hiking :)

Hi all,

Well knock me down wiv a fevver! I thought I was the only one who made boxes from wood.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I did this in 2004 or 5 can't quite remember, anyway I used Thorsten's inverted circuit, this is my little web page about it: DIY Integrated Gainclone amplifier made in the UK from locally sourced components

Things have moved on a bit now and I'm thinking of rebuilding it to a non-inverted with a 2x 10,000 uf snubberized PS per amp. The transformers are 160VA 25V.

Great thread I love it really informative. Thanks.

Jim

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi 6L6, I was just looking at the LM3886 datasheet (for an unrelated thing) and found this, which is related to Johnr66 and my original comments :)

LAYOUT, GROUND LOOPS AND STABILITY
The LM3886 is designed to be stable when operated at a
closed-loop gain of 10 or greater, but as with any other
high-current amplifier, the LM3886 can be made to oscillate
under certain conditions. These usually involve printed circuit
board layout or output/input coupling.
When designing a layout, it is important to return the load
ground, the output compensation ground, and the low level
(feedback and input) grounds to the circuit board common
ground point through separate paths.
Otherwise, large currents
flowing along a ground conductor will generate voltages
on the conductor which can effectively act as signals at
the input, resulting in high frequency oscillation or excessive
distortion. It is advisable to keep the output compensation
components and the 0.1 μF supply decoupling capacitors as
close as possible to the LM3886 to reduce the effects of PCB
trace resistance and inductance. For the same reason, the
ground return paths should be as short as possible.
In general, with fast, high-current circuitry, all sorts of problems
can arise from improper grounding which again can be
avoided by returning all grounds separately to a common
point. Without isolating the ground signals and returning the
grounds to a common point, ground loops may occur.

Tony.

Hi all,
I build this same amp and am wandering, some people do not use filtering caps at all and go directly from bridge to the lm3886. I did the same and although I does sound great, I want to know if someone did this and later added the PS filters and resistors to see if sound was better?
Does it become sluggish due to more circuitry?
Is it asolute neccesity in having the filter caps and resistors?

thank you

Last edited:
Hi all,
I build this same amp and am wandering, some people do not use filtering caps at all
Impossible.
You DO NEED filter/storage caps in the supply under penalty of heavy unbearable 100/120Hz hum which makes amp UNUSABLE.
and go directly from bridge to the lm3886.
you CAN do that, why not?, but you MUST have main capacitors in parallel with LM3886 somewhere.

I did the same and although I does sound great, I want to know if someone did this and later added the PS filters and resistors to see if sound was better?
Please show a picture of what you built, you MUST have filter caps in the supply rails.
It does no matter where they are physically, all parallel connected points are at the same voltage by definition.
Does it become sluggish due to more circuitry?
Sluggish? :confused:
Is it asolute neccesity in having the filter caps and resistors?
Not sure what resistors you mention, but filter caps are indispensable.

Attached is the schematic with two possible PS.
also project pic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 2.44.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 2.44.26 PM.png
    246 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 6.19.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 6.19.21 PM.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 6.21.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 6.21.14 PM.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 60532DA9-7B4B-4589-A623-809F174AAB06_1_201_a.jpg
    60532DA9-7B4B-4589-A623-809F174AAB06_1_201_a.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 197
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.