PMC Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's hard to tell just by looking, since they often use modified versions that look the same. SVS use a TC sounds driver that looks identical to the AE speakers AV12, but its actually a modified version of a TC sounds driver. I also thought that a Genelec subwoofer used the XLS, however, when I saw it, I was clearly wrong. Similar but different.

Why do you want to know?

thread from the dead

Incase you didn't know by now, the tweeters used in almost all of PMCs range is the Vifa D27TG-35-06 and in the TB2, the midbass unit is a Vifa M17WG-09

Attachments

• pmc9.jpg
    pmc9.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,296
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
lovitz said:
cheap?

cloning those will be an investment and 1/2.

Agreed

But the tranmission line dimensions/shape and stuffing are unknown. All you have is the length.

Then you have the crossover's which again, is an unknown quantity.

In the end you may just have a pile of expensive drivers. There's far more to a speaker than just the drivers and PMC will have gone to meticulous lengths to measure distortion, amplitude etc. for the best XO points, then tweaked out by ear. On top of this they will have built a good few test cabinet and tried a whole variety of stuffing schemes which yield the best bass response. And that's just a couple of examples of the processes they will have gone through.

So you may have a look-a-like but sound the same? I don't know. If your spending that kind of money you need to be sure you can do the whole thing justice.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Agreed

But the tranmission line dimensions/shape and stuffing are unknown. All you have is the length.

Then you have the crossover's which again, is an unknown quantity.

In the end you may just have a pile of expensive drivers. There's far more to a speaker than just the drivers and PMC will have gone to meticulous lengths to measure distortion, amplitude etc. for the best XO points, then tweaked out by ear. On top of this they will have built a good few test cabinet and tried a whole variety of stuffing schemes which yield the best bass response. And that's just a couple of examples of the processes they will have gone through.

So you may have a look-a-like but sound the same? I don't know. If your spending that kind of money you need to be sure you can do the whole thing justice.

Exactly my thoughts, and the very same reason why I bought a pair instead of attempting to make them. I might have a go at making some now I have ones to study properly however...

According to information I have, the CB6, AML1, MB2 and BB5 actives are the only ones in the current range (apart from the flat home audio ones) that don't use the tweeter I posted a photo of. However, looking on their site is when it gets confusing. Although the tweeters all look the same, some are "silk soft dome" etc and others are "fabric soft dome". Also some of the higher ones are 34mm whereas the TB2s are 27mm. It might be worth a phone call to find out for certain, and then you too can experience their wonderful on hold "music" :D :cool: (monty python sketches for those who don't know)

edit: MB2 and BB5 have the same tweeter as each other, and according to a PMC leaflet I have here, one of the upgrades of the DB, TB and FB systems was to use the same tweeter used throughout the range so they have a more similar sound to the higher end ones. So I can only assume that the TB2+ use the same tweeter as the MB2 and BB5 (and others) but not the MB2-XBD which seems to use a 34mm tweeter.

John Audio said:
If you have a look at the PMC Web site - and find the "explanation" of how a Transmission Line works - you will find a cut away picture of a TB1 or TB2.

The drive units used are indeed VIFA:

D25AG-05-06
and
M17WG-09505

The cutaway is a DB1 and therefore uses the metal dome vifa unit instead of the D27 that is used now on the DB1+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.