Please recommend a large 3 or 4 way design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to decide on a proven large 3 or 4 way design. I want speakers that will rock, and move lots of air. I have made a few pairs of single driver speakers, which was fun, but they don't generally do well with the music I listen to.

I would want these speakers to play heavy metal (think more in the line of technical death metal like Opeth).

-I would like to keep the cost under $1000
-Size is not a big issue. The wife allowed my old JBL 4435s so she is used to large speakers.
-I would like it to include a 15" or even 18" driver. Good impactful bass is important.
-I will use a digital active crossover.

I wanted to go open baffle, but was afraid they wouldn't have the bass impact I am looking for.

Any suggestions?

Do you like waveguide designs? Or ribbons?

For open baffle how about the NAO II designs from John K. ?

NaO

btw, Im a HUGE rock fan and nothing is better then waveguides for rock n' roll ;)

Pick your waveguide build from here

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=215536

Then add another woofer in a bass bin and you have an incredible 3-way with dynamics that kick the crap out of wussy audiophile dome designs ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a nice one. I don't mind a complicated build as I have a CNC router.

Budget is pretty open, but I would lean towards lowest possible. I mostly enjoy the building.

This may interest you:

Humble Homemade Hifi

Though it looks like a tough build and changing it to active probably won't be trivial.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice budget. Those are probably a fair bit over.

I don't really know much about waveguides. I will have to research. Can't say I have every heard a ribbon speaker.

I like the idea of open baffles, but I have heard enough contradicting info on them playing metal that I am hesitant.

I guess I will have to go through the thread you linked, thanks!

Do you like waveguide designs? Or ribbons?

For open baffle how about the NAO II designs from John K. ?

NaO

btw, Im a HUGE rock fan and nothing is better then waveguides for rock n' roll ;)

Pick your waveguide build from here

Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

Then add another woofer in a bass bin and you have an incredible 3-way with dynamics that kick the crap out of wussy audiophile dome designs ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
This is so far just mindwork, and not tested
it is calculated tho, and matches drivers
its relatively cheap
though intended for bass guitar, I thought with a tweeter horn on top it might be a nice PA/party speaker too

Attachments

• bassguitar 6.order bandpass rev 2x.JPG
    bassguitar 6.order bandpass rev 2x.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 296
You can do it but they're not going to be like your 4435's. May we ask why you no longer have those?

I wasn't listening to them much, and something else came up that I wanted, but couldn't justify buying (old marine diesel engine) without selling something else.

For some reason I just didn't like them for heavy metal. Maybe I am just not a horn guy. Once I realized I was changing what I was listening to because other stuff just sounded so much better on my system, I realized I had to rethink my audio setup.

I do miss the JBLs. They actually sounded almost perfect for me when I had them in my garage. I had them just inside the door, so they would play totally open in my driveway. They never sounded better. Awesome. Clear, detailed, powerful. But I wanted them in my house.

Once I got them in there, I just couldn't get them to sound the same. I bought a Behringer DEQ2496 which helped, but still always lacked, compared to how they sounded outside.

Also, at the time I had the option to buy a pair of Altec Model 19s in case I really missed the JBLs.

I ended up getting more into headphone for the last few years - love my Grado SR255i.

After listening to my New Large Advents for a while I realized I like the oldschool sound. I guess I am not an audiophile. I want to enjoy my speakers, not have them tell me how I am supposed to listen to music...

Wow, I didn't mean to write my whole biography... :)

Yeah, that is a nice one. I don't mind a complicated build as I have a CNC router.

Budget is pretty open, but I would lean towards lowest possible. I mostly enjoy the building.

Ah, of course you have the CNC so that top cab build will be a lot simpler for you. Also, the slightly elevated 60-150Hz band of that design should be appealing for your music tastes, but it really will be massively over $1000 now I think about it.

You say you liked the JBLs but not in your listening environment? Did you ever look into room treatments? Sounds like you may have an awkward room which will spoil the sound of any speaker you put in it.

Ah, of course you have the CNC so that top cab build will be a lot simpler for you. Also, the slightly elevated 60-150Hz band of that design should be appealing for your music tastes, but it really will be massively over $1000 now I think about it.

You say you liked the JBLs but not in your listening environment? Did you ever look into room treatments? Sounds like you may have an awkward room which will spoil the sound of any speaker you put in it.

I did, but we started having the idea to move to our cottage at that time (probably will next year) so I didn't want to do too much in that respect. My system was setup in the back of our theatre room which is about 16' x 34' half with a 14' ceiling, half with a 9' ceiling (my listening area was in the 9' ceiling part. I doubt it was an idea room, for sure.

I wanted to try them in another room, but the 4435's are pretty awkward to get up stairs by one's self.

If I build a new dedicated listening system I will put it in a smaller room - 12' x 18' with a normal height ceiling.

OK! Then, what do they have to surpass? You performance criteria requires use of high SPL capable, pro drivers. Your budget remains too small for something that will sustain the rigors of your venue.

Regards,

WHG

I don't know if they have to surpass anything. All I want are speakers that will do well with technical heavy metal, and with good bass. I don't need to compromise on size, so I figured large drivers are the way to go.

If I don't want to spend more than $1000 I won't be able to make speakers with good bass?

I would have thought I could buy some 15" drivers for around $200 each, some mids for the same, and some $100 tweeters. I am not looking cutting edge audiophile stuff, just good ol' paper drivers.

I am not including xo's in the budget as I have that covered already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.