Please read carefully: wanted - an HDMI switch that behaves like a relay

Please forget about a full time splitter. I wasted hours to learn it does not work.

My Samsung TV only allows one signal at a time feeding any of its 4 HDMI inputs.

One input. Two outputs. I want it to route the signal to my TV in the “Off” position. In the “on” position, I want it to route the signal to my Surround Sound processor (SSP).

When I turn “on” my SSP, it sends a trigger voltage, either 5V 12V to turn “on” the HDMI switch.

I hope this makes sense. No suggestions of a splitter, please. One possibility that will work is, the trigger “turns off” one of the outputs.

I have a very simple, cheap, ($11), easy to access HDMI switch - one input; 2 outputs. Switching controlled by a simple button. But that too complicated for some of the people in my house.

This “upgrade” must remain inexpensive- as in “well south” of $100. I prefer to avoid adding another remote to the collection.

1000 thanks in advance. Tony

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Did you get the right kind of splitter? It seems you could use a 1x2 or 1x4, with non-switched, always-on outputs. You have a 1x2 but with only 1 output.

A 1x2 with both outputs always on could just sit there happily sending to both, IF that would be a solution to your setup. I've read your description a couple of times and can't figure out exactly what you are asking.... Is the Surround processor not handling the audio for the TV at all times?

My Samsung TV only allows one signal at a time feeding any of its 4 HDMI inputs.
My TVs do it too. They aren't supposed to mix signals.

How does the switch work ? Touch or button depressed type ?
If it's the latter type, a relay would be easy to implement, unless it's switching 19 wires.

4k uhd hdmi divisor interruptor hdmi switcher para fora amplificador 1080p 4k x 2k hdmi switcher 1x2 2x1 dividir 1 em 2 2 portas bidirecional.|Cabos HDMI| - AliExpress

I would experiment with the Hot Plug Detect Pin 19 or the +5V pin 18.
Let both outputs connected and interrupt pin 18 or 19 and see what happens.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305072940/http://www.microprocessor.org/HDMISpecification13a.pdf

HDMI "negotiates"with the sink devices (Handshake). There is "Key Handling" and resolution information exchange plus "Ïnfoframes" sent to the sinks that determines the signal offered (Audio included). So no relay switch or splitter can be used. Period.

Only a DA (distribution amplifier) with key handling is an option.

Last edited:
Did you get the right kind of splitter? It seems you could use a 1x2 or 1x4, with non-switched, always-on outputs. You have a 1x2 but with only 1 output.

A 1x2 with both outputs always on could just sit there happily sending to both, IF that would be a solution to your setup.
Please forget about a full time splitter. I wasted hours to learn it does not work.

No suggestions of a splitter, please. One possibility that will work is, the trigger “turns off” one of the outputs.

I have a very simple, cheap, ($11), easy to access HDMI switch - one input; 2 outputs. Switching controlled by a simple button. But that too complicated for some of the people in my house.
I found the switch on Bay. It works well and looks a lot like...4K HDMI Splitter Switcher Bidirectional 2 in 1 Output or 1 in 2 Out Converter | eBay
My TVs do it too. They aren't supposed to mix signals.
My TV doesn’t like the same signal sent to two inputs. You can get more details about the “switch” below.

Touch or button depressed type ? If it's the latter type, a relay would be easy to implement, unless it's switching 19 wires.
I don’t know the specifics - “switching 19 wires” I guess.

Your first link is exactly like the switch I’m using. The other link... ???

HDMI "negotiates"with the sink devices (Handshake). There is "Key Handling" and resolution information exchange plus "Ïnfoframes" sent to the sinks that determines the signal offered (Audio included).
Sorry. “Handshake” metaphor aside, the rest is “above my pay grade.” W/ some effort on my part, I could learn to understand the rest, given time. Thank you for your heart.

So no relay switch or splitter can be used. Period.
I used the word relay to explain “conceptually,” not literally, what I’m looking for. A relay relies upon a trigger to remotely activate a switch that:
a. power up something
b.switches between two inputs to a single output
c. a single input to switch between to outputs.

Only a DA (distribution amplifier) with key handling is an option.
Hmmm. It appears the name (DA) explains what it is. Please explain what “key handling” means.

My switch is mechanical. 3” X 3” X 3/4” box w/ a button on top. Three HDMI jacks: two on one side panel; the third on the opposite.
User decides: 2 in, 1 out. Or... 1 in, 2 out.

When I press a button on my Logitech* remote, it powers up the SSP. The SSP sends a 5V trigger that powers up 6 amps, 5 subs, and 4 EXOs. It* also sends a signal to power up the TV and sets it to HDMI 2.

I want to replace the existing “switch” w/a such device that eliminates the need for a human to “press a button” to reroute the DVR signal from the TV to the SSP.

I hope this clears up what I failed to communicate in my first post
1000 thanks in advance

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
HDMI is a wiring standard, that, paramount to everything else, first and foremost, was designed to make it difficult to make digital copies from. In exchange for that, the standard makes it really convenient for the users, with good video and audio on a single cable with a single plug.

Perhaps why you are not finding an item you are looking for is because the two devices connected need to sync with each other. If they dont sync things dont get sent down the cable.

A distribution amp could make one signal go to multiple destinations, but it wouldn’t flip flop, it would be always on.

The switching 19 wires comment is the number of conductors in an HDMI cable.

Attachments

• DCD484B9-2BDB-4D95-9BC3-0AF327155737.jpeg
    DCD484B9-2BDB-4D95-9BC3-0AF327155737.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 173
When connected (or re-connecting) any HDMI device, a 5v dc from the source is powering a chip in the sink device "HPD" (hot plug detect, for everyone here is not familiar with these abbriviations, nothing personal).

This chip then is requested to offer a HDCP license key to the source. This needs to be done within a few seconds otherwise no image will be shown (snow/ encrypted).

In order to switch between outputs you will have to switch the 5v as well to initiate a new HPD.

Last edited:
I’m still hampered by my inability to explain what I’m looking for and the possibility it doesn’t exist.

The trigger I mentioned is a separate 3.5mm Jack on the back of the SSP that produces 5V when powered up. The SSP has 5 HDMI inputs, and two full time outputs.

I found a “two in two out” DA that might work though by its own remote - a step closer but not quite it even if by remote.

Last edited:
In an attempt to certify what I have and what I want.

I want to replace the little box in this image. I’m using it as follows.

Input on top. Outputs on the bottom. You could flip it - two in; one out.

LH output to TV’s HDMI 1 input

RH output to one of the SSP’s HDMI inputs. SSP output to TV’s HDMI 2.

Pressing the button directs the signal to one output or the other. I don’t know if it directs just the 5V or everything.

Before deploying the switch, I would unplug one HDMI and plug-in the the other. Crude but effective.

You have taken great pains to help understand HDMI technology. I understand how a very inexpensive 3 in, 1 out device works that I bought for my young son. It automatically switches to the game console that’s ON provided the others were OFF.

BTW: when powered up, do my SSP’s inputs send 5V towards, for example, the Blu ray player or Dish DVR? Or only FROM the Blu-ray or DVR?

Y’all have give me some ideas but chances are nobody has yet built what I’m looking for.

I look forward to continued ideas and encouragement. I thank you for your patience.

Tony.

Attachments

• CB160EE1-A8CD-408C-A235-05995CF8F401.jpg
    CB160EE1-A8CD-408C-A235-05995CF8F401.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 160
So what you need is something that pushes the button, right?
This can be triggered by the 5V from your SSP when you power this up (someone needs to modify this switch to make it happen).

All other solutions are not cheap !

Двунаправленный HDMI переключатель. HDMI разветвитель. Обзор и тест переключателя входов HDMI. Где купить HDMI Switch

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/scds343f/...684830&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.nl%2F

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
@lampie519 Right now that something is my right thumb.

You and the others are helping to clear the clouds in my brain on how this stuff works. At the moment I’m not prepared to hack the switch because I don’t have a dedicated work space and/or a spare switch.

Perhaps the next time I get the house to my self for a half day or longer, I’ll attempt to “do a little surgery” to have a “look under the hood.” Either way - All in good time.

I now understand that several jumpers and a small relay triggered by an external 5 or 12VDC will do the trick IF my switch is merely routing a single 5V signal.

Thanks for caring enough to keep trying. Tony

Last edited:
Hello 👋

Finally got around to updating y’all...

Got another of these:
https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/10...V2N_tCh0PoAibEAkYBiABEgK4HPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nearly identical to the one I’m using. I was pleasantly surprised to discover they’re both in a metal case held together w/screws.

When I clear a (work) space in my storage bldg/man cave, I’ll begin the “hacking.”

Meanwhile a big thanks for everyone’s input. Tony

Hello 👋

Got another of these:
https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/10...V2N_tCh0PoAibEAkYBiABEgK4HPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nearly identical to the one I’m using. I was pleasantly surprised to discover they’re both in a metal case held together w/screws.

Tony
I have scraped out a work space, desk, modest sound system, and all.

at first glance, the above switch appears to use electronic switching - the 5V mentioned in an earlier post.
So if I can hack it to default the switch’s output to say, output 2;
switches to output 1 when I fire up my pre/pro, I’ll be a very happy camper

tony

Hello 👋

Got another of these:

Tony
I have scraped out a work space, desk, modest sound system, and all.

at first glance, the above switch appears to use electronic switching - the 5V mentioned in an earlier post.
So if I can hack it to default the switch’s output to say, output 2;
switches to output 1 when I fire up my pre/pro, I’ll be a very happy camper

tony