Playstation as CD-player

it depends on wether you want to mod it or not, i've been to busy the last few weeks since i got mine to mod them, i got two 1001's and a 5000 and a 7000 for the spare drives,
and i still need the right caps to mod the early version with the RCA outputs, all i can find are electrolitics, and not the poly types unless i send for just the few i need from places that charge a fortune for post and packing,
but 5500 in stock form still sounds better than the budget £200 CD players i had before,
it has more space around the instrumenrs more detail a wider sound stage better clarity, more depth, it depends on how much trouble you want to go to, most of the pertinent information is on the first 20 pages on this thread,

Last edited:
It is worth doing the mods. :D

Have a look at my posts from a couple of years or so ago (they around here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/31123-playstation-cd-player-157.html.)

The best tweak is to make a linear power supply for it. As I got mine for a fiver each from ebay, it is a no-brainer.

The UK version of the PS1 with the audio outs is 1002. However you can use a 5552 as this has the same dac chip as the 1002.

Last edited:
Linear Power Supply

Just follow the instructions at Mick Feuerbacher Audio Projects for the linear supply.
Yes..up to a point.
I found that the linear power supply with its two-stage regulation generated a significant amount of heat inside the PS1 chassis. This caused me to install a fan. My earlier version for the power supply generated all the required voltages from outside of the PS1. The PS1 then remained totally cool, but lost the advantage of the two-stage regulation. Either way, the there was an improvement, but I would not rate either improvement as being as significant as the improvements from the modifications to the output circuitry. IMHO, the benefits from the external power supply do not justify the complications introduced and the the inconvenience of introducing an external box. My reference PS1 has all of the mods that have ever been discussed and then some and I try to get an idea of the benefits of each. Tricky sometimes, but I think the above is generally true.

Sorry George, but I have to disagree ;)

Yes, the PS can generate a bit of heat, but why not have it in a separate box?

IMO the PS1 is in a different league with the linear PS. I suppose it depends exactly how you build it and what components you use.

I am using the rectifier board from the PinkFish group buy, with Qspeed LQA30T300 30A soft recovery diodes and TeddyRegs on the output.

Linear Power Supply

Sorry George, but I have to disagree ;)

Yes, the PS can generate a bit of heat, but why not have it in a separate box?

IMO the PS1 is in a different league with the linear PS. I suppose it depends exactly how you build it and what components you use.

I am using the rectifier board from the PinkFish group buy, with Qspeed LQA30T300 30A soft recovery diodes and TeddyRegs on the output.

Hi Puffin,
A disagreement in our thread! Never :)

I do have the PS in a separate box. However, the idea of the two-stage regulation is that the second stage happens inside the PS1 chassis. This is where the heat gets introduced. I have built my power-supplies so that they are both able to be adjusted from 0VDC all the way to around 30VDC, so it is easy to move the regulation back into a separate box, or leave it in the PS1. My supplies are pretty heavily regulated, dropping from 30VDC to the PS1 requirements, probably to an overkill level. My trials of positioning the second-stage regulation within and without the PS1 produced no audible difference at all, in my environment.. but at this point we need to start looking at the quality of the power supply all the way from the 240V line right the way through to the connections inside the PS1, including all the components en route and the stability and noise on the input line. before we can be particularly analytical.
Can you be specific about the improvements that you heard or improvements in the behavior of the PS1 with your linear supply?

Hi Puffin,
A disagreement in our thread! Never :)
Can you be specific about the improvements that you heard or improvements in the behavior of the PS1 with your linear supply?

Phew...describing changes/improvements is always a difficult one as we all (probably) listen in different ways and to different things and on completely different systems.

All I can say is that I think I have quite a revealing system as I can easily hear changes. The PS1 with linear PS really surprised me as to the depth of sound it produces and the musicality of it. Separation is excellent and it just has a rightness about it which enhances most CDs played on it. I have a lot of Dacs. You would think that although being firmly in the budget arena the latest up-samling Dacmagic would trounce it. Not so.

My PS is dropping a lot of volts as well. I am using a large heatsink, but I think that as I can only momentarily touch it without burning my fingers, it's time I bought another transformer. But...will it sound as good?

Just taken delivery of the world best CDP, my Playstation has arrive. Upon getting my hand to it i had a refelction back to when i was a kid and my Dad bought one for the family. It was like the holly grale.

I'm got it on the floor currently and am already totaly blow away with and there is no mods to it yet!

I'd love it if an LCD screen or some sort could be implermented to show tracks. One of the ebay kits for a pc cd-rom would be ideal

Hi

When I did comparison between the stock SMPS and dual regulated linear supply.The sound with SMPS was lightly softer and "fuzzier".I liked the linear supply better.
There was 2 different stock supplies I tried,both had different sound but the difference was very small.
I use 12V battery with regulation,so the Voltage drop is small and heat doesn't get out of hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if modded Stock supply could sound good also,as the old capacitors etc. are possibly worn out anyways...

Last edited:
Okay i was able to bring my self to open her up. This thing is so easy to take apart, unlike a Xbox 360. Also no dust, it was totaly spotless in there.

Took some photos quickly, sorry im using my iPhone to do it as DSLR is on charge.

Not sure what version of the PSU i have but the PS is SPCH-1002. I didn't see a mod chip in there, i had a good roout around and took it down to nothing. Safe to say back togther it still works so it's past the Pete opens it and kills it test!

So mods. PSU is a dead easy and quick simple one which i might try if i can find some wires. Just to extend it so it's outside of the unit it's self. I can cut the currently cable in half and extend it.

Idealy i want a new PSU for it in it's own box but not got a clue on that!

I fancy modding the case, spray it is the number one thing thats going to be done but i seen a few people with there RCA on top and caps but no other info, anyone shead some light on it?

Attachments

• Playstation1.JPG
    Playstation1.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 800
  • Playstation 2.JPG
    Playstation 2.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 775