Playstation as CD-player

AV Multiout

Hi,
I have modified many of the PS model that you have. When the analog components following the DAC are removed then there is no audio from the AV Multiout. The signal there then would appear to be analog and this is confirmed by circuit diagram.
I don't think there is a good reason for using the PS as a transport. The transport side is OK but nothing to write home about. The real benefit of teh PS appears to come from the specific DAC on the board. If you connect to the transport ahead of this DAC then, IMHO, you have lost most of the advantage of the PS as a CD player.

I hope this helps .. feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this

George

Hi. I have model 5502. I am making audio output mod but im not good at math.

My stereo-amp has input impedance 56k ohm. And I have these components avaible: caps 2,2uF , 3,3uF , 6,8 uF. resistors 22k ohm, 27k ohm, 33k ohm, 47k ohm

Can somebody calculate and tell what cap and resistor I should use to avoid DC and cutoffs in the bass? Now im just testing different combinations..

Yes I have read this Mick Feuerbacher Audio Projects but I dont understand input impedance calculating.

Thanks a lot :)

Saludos Amigos!

I wonder if anyone hear has the PS-1 connected to a Tube Buffer like the Yaqin unit with a pair of tubes.

I have one on its way but haven't receive it yet.....

Thanks,

Jose/PR

Yes I'm using one and very good it sounds too. The Yaqin has really sweetened the sound, a lot more lifelike with simple acoustic pieces and vocals. But make sure you swap the Chinese tubes out, they're ok but others are much better - I have a pair of Tectronix 6AK5 in at the moment.

I built two more in recent months. The first is in wenge wood with acrylic cover, and the second box was painted and the IR adapter is built into the box.

The changes are ones that have had in what I did in ceregeira, with an R in RCA 22K and Wimas of 3.3 uF output directly in the DAC.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi@all!
I'm searching for schematics of the Playstations mainboard. Does anyone got some?
On the Methe and also on the TET Homepage were pictures of a playstation board connected to computer via USB. Is this possible?

TET also writes that they set off the video section. Anyone got a plan hwo to handle this?

I picked up a 1001 a few months ago and loved the sound but it would skip when playing cd's.I bought another 1001 on ebay and got it yesterday but the guy sent me a 7501 instead.The 1001 has a KSM-440ACM laser.The 7501 has a KSM-440AEM.I was able to install the AEM laser on the 1001.It is a tight fit.I am able to play cd's but last few tracks on any disk skips.Should I check the voltage and adjust as outlined in some of the posts.
I have ordered a new laser KSM-440ACM off of ebay.Should I just wait and see how the new laser works or is it worth going any further and trying to get the laser from the 7501 to work correctly.Thanks.

I picked up a 1001 a few months ago and loved the sound but it would skip when playing cd's.I bought another 1001 on ebay and got it yesterday but the guy sent me a 7501 instead.The 1001 has a KSM-440ACM laser.The 7501 has a KSM-440AEM.I was able to install the AEM laser on the 1001.It is a tight fit.I am able to play cd's but last few tracks on any disk skips.Should I check the voltage and adjust as outlined in some of the posts.
I have ordered a new laser KSM-440ACM off of ebay.Should I just wait and see how the new laser works or is it worth going any further and trying to get the laser from the 7501 to work correctly.Thanks.

I just get a used PSOne and transfer the laser and spindle mechanism into the scph-1001, you'll have to swap the top plates, but other than that they're identical.

Hi,
I have installed so-called compatible lasers into my PS1 and found the fit was so tight that I had to cut the plastic of the laser deck away. if you don't do this then the laser is not sprung and is sensitive to vibrations. So, the first bit of an answer is make sure that the laser deck can move freely.
Now about track skipping... tight fit can cause this. However, the more general reason is incorrect voltage setting, and the correct setting seems to depend on the age of the laser.. the older the laser the higher the voltage that you need. I usually adjust into the ball-park figures given in the dogbreath pages, but then I tune the settings based on some cds that I have which are known to be difficult to track. After that has happened I never seem to get any problems.
All the above assumes that you have done the usual things like lens and cd cleaning.
Good luck with the fixes, it is really worth it

George

Hi,
I have installed so-called compatible lasers into my PS1 and found the fit was so tight that I had to cut the plastic of the laser deck away. if you don't do this then the laser is not sprung and is sensitive to vibrations. So, the first bit of an answer is make sure that the laser deck can move freely.
Now about track skipping... tight fit can cause this. However, the more general reason is incorrect voltage setting, and the correct setting seems to depend on the age of the laser.. the older the laser the higher the voltage that you need. I usually adjust into the ball-park figures given in the dogbreath pages, but then I tune the settings based on some cds that I have which are known to be difficult to track. After that has happened I never seem to get any problems.
All the above assumes that you have done the usual things like lens and cd cleaning.
Good luck with the fixes, it is really worth it

George

Thanks for the reply.I just took the laser I got from the 7501 and installed it into the sled of the original 1001.I then put it all back together and it skips worse than using the whole 7501 laser and assembly.So back to square one.I have cleaned the laser and cd's.Not only am I getting skipping now but audio drop outs also.

Sometimes the time it takes the laser to load is a clue. You can increase the voltage using the pot on laser itself. If you go too high it will not recognize any CD at all .. it just keeps trying (and failing). A voltage below this is what you want.
Check that the laser deck can bounce freely. The only time I have had track skipping and drop outs after the voltage checks has been due to dirty cds.
Let me know how you get on

George

I just found the page on adjusting the f and g bios and on checking the voltages.All my voltages where low so I uped them to what the poster recommended.Have never had slow load times on cd.They come up fast in the menu's.I did notice that between tracks it took a little longer to get to the next track than my stand alone cd player.
i am now giving it a play.Will let you know the results.Also what is the best way to clean a cd.Thanks.