Plans for L Cao F6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fwiw, you could ask Anita hifi at Ebay for some opinions - its at least 10dB more sensitive than a Vifa TCFD over a major portion of bandwidth. The rough Karlsonator 6 prototype has a large aperture so not a lot of influence on the high area. I probably don't have enough damping material in the stub.

FrPIRuL.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, Freddy. I've already done it. I've just got an answer. One of the recommended enclosures for the LCao F6 seems to be this BR box. Here's his/her? answer:

hi sir,bookshelf box about 36L,tube 70mm×100mm.

Not highly informative, but... ok. Any possibilities you could make a simulation? Plans or ideas welcome!

Your Karlsonator box looks pretty cool to me -and would most likely be a great match to the valve amp- but the missus would probably hired a lawyer in a rush and get the papers done equally fast, if you get what I mean:D

Guess in the end I'd be bound to take the plunge and see what comes up...

Regards,

Vincula

Last edited:
LOL:Pirate:!!

When he says "Tube 70 mm x 100 mm" does he mean 7 cm diameter and 10 cm length? I'm a bit lost here. Trying to do a simulation, but some data seems to be missing. Got the flu and haven't slept very well either... :confused:

For a given Rf of 58 Hz I seem to be getting a 70 litres BR box or so...

Regards,

Vincula

RE the Karlsonators: I suppose the big advantage would be that the drivers could be direct wired, without the recommended LCR filter that will be needed for most anything else. Anyhow, here's a link to the Karlsonator 6 Plans.

For WAF, you can always add a grill cloth to cover the naughty bits. ;) My little Karlsonators have grills, and look rather innocuous.

RE the Diatone style reflex boxes: While it is generally considered wrong nowadays to use a high Qts driver in a reflex box, it can sound quite pleasant. Best case is that it will sound sort of euphonic and lush. The danger is that it would be overly bloomy and have boomy bass. You can always add some fluffy stuff to the inside if this happens.

RE the Karlsonators: I suppose the big advantage would be that the drivers could be direct wired, without the recommended LCR filter that will be needed for most anything else. Anyhow, here's a link to the Karlsonator 6 Plans.

For WAF, you can always add a grill cloth to cover the naughty bits. ;) My little Karlsonators have grills, and look rather innocuous.

RE the Diatone style reflex boxes: While it is generally considered wrong nowadays to use a high Qts driver in a reflex box, it can sound quite pleasant. Best case is that it will sound sort of euphonic and lush. The danger is that it would be overly bloomy and have boomy bass. You can always add some fluffy stuff to the inside if this happens.

I always cringe a bit when I see these classic Diatone reflex enclosures. This P610 clone has a manageable Qt at least, but it's still hard to work into a more tame, modern-style reflex. The original P610 seemed to have Qt>1.0 and I've seen it measured in the 1.5 region! :eek:

hey GregB - do you think there would be any advantage to enlarging the Karlsonator6 a bit for this F6 driver and if so - in which direction(s)? Might it play well in the Karlsonator8 on an adapter ring ? - also, might the narrower aperture be preferred on the Six? F6 sounds very good and without boom in the prototype and suspect it would never quite have the incisive "hit" which might be perceived with say FE166EN. F6 has a cool looking cone/surround assembly. It would be interesting to hear from an F6 owner who also has Alpair. Its interesting that F6 is more sensitive than Eminence's Delta Pro8A which is touted as "97.8dB".

perhaps Delta Pro8a would benefit from a simple MLTL - its advertised q IIRC is ~0.22 - subjectively it sounds fairly dark - maybe
clearer than some EM8

Ba1HChe.gif

Last edited:
Go to ALIEXPRESS.COM and enter search for L Cao F6, then scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will find the driver specs with complete with graphs. The second graph includes the values for attenuation components, and when you scroll down a little further, there you will find the complete plans for a recommended floor standing enclosure.

Mac

Though I used the FE166 and FF165 for initial guesswork and modeling, IIRC it wasn't horribly sized/tuned for F6, but a bit on the smallish side. Might be worth a go in the karlsonator8.

Narrower slot should darken sound slightly, and may make it more 'veiled' - literally in this case. Probably more appropriate for screaming top end type drivers.

Many thanks for the advice Scott.

GM, I've simmed the enclosure they recommend in WinISD (circa 75l internal volume including driver displacement) and a 65mm diameter port 18mm deep does actually make sense. I thought it would have a length of a few inches but 18mm seems to be enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.