Plans for L Cao F6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dave, as you can probably tell I'm certainly no cabinet designer but the qts and fs are quite a bit different from the Alpair 10.3 so I guess it might need some tweaks to the FHXL design for it to be optimal (or would it?).

I've seen the plots of the Karlsonator and they look very nice but I must admit I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics.

The metronomes look interesting but I'm not sure what dimensions are required.

Thanks in advance

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Dave, as you can probably tell I'm certainly no cabinet designer but the qts and fs are quite a bit different from the Alpair 10.3 so I guess it might need some tweaks to the FHXL design for it to be optimal (or would it?).

The 1st driver that was tried in the FHXL other than an A10x was FE168eSigma, and the builder said they work fine. These are as different in T/S from the A10 as the LChao but in the other direction.

The FH3 had proven very tuneable for a wide range of drivers, i expect the same out of the FHXL. But i would get a sim before installing anything not proven

dave

Nelson, That's very good to know, the upper mids is where my ears will complain if things are too ragged. I think they look good too (the drivers that is). You have probably heard more drivers than I've had hot dinners .....

ML-TL ! thanks Dave, that's the name. I was quite impressesd with what the microtower design did for the EL-70 and thought perhaps it might work well for the L Cao ?

I've also become partial to the open back box these days too, more the Boffle than OB but I don't know if the L Cao has the low end to carry that off properly.

Last edited:
I was asked to have a quick gander at this as I'd missed it earlier. No doubt seething at what is happening elsewhere. Be that as it may. Based on the data in the link, it should work OK in FHXL. Not quite ideal given the higher Q & Vas so it will have a bit of extra gain through the midbass region, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, can be adjusted a bit via the damping, & will vary with positioning in any case. I'd expect decent output down to ~40Hz, probably lower depending, so call that the conservative figure.

Q on mine was higher than spec - should drop somewhat with play - F6 is impressive -its 8" ferrite counterpart seems out of production. The Karlsonator 6 would be a good small cabinet. Dispersion is decent, there is some timbre change on rainstorm recordings when moving the head compared to a two way with small diameter dome tweeter.

Could be. Another possibility -the measures may be in-box or similar; some of the Chinese manufacturers seem to do that, esp. those that are sold direct. Incidentally, I see the graphs in the link above are marked L.Cao FA8, so either they've used the plots for the 8in model, or they've used a template & forgotten to change the text.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.