Plans for Alfredo Horn from Alf Lepp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I found a few comments on the "Alfredo" horn, a back-loaded Tractrix horn designed by Alf Lepp from Australia.
But I wasn't able to find the plans for it or to find conact dates or homepage fof Alf Lepp.

can anybody help me

many thnaks and regards

Thomas

Hi,

Not the best resolution, maybe somebody has something better.

Regards,

Attachments

• alf1_bw.gif
    alf1_bw.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,231
  • alf2_bw.gif
    alf2_bw.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,104
  • alf3_bw.gif
    alf3_bw.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,091
Oliver, many thanks

it gives me an idea of the speaker; maybe somebody has ab better plan to be able to build it.

Does anybody have experience with this speaker?
I am looking for horn cabinets for Lowther PM2C (old version with new cones cones from Stefan Stamm)

best regards
Thomas

Hello Oliver,

Your design is an Alf Lepp design.
The Alfredo horn is another design.
According to Bert Doppenberg : one of the best for lowther dx3.
I think the design I'm looking for is on my second laptop, is on another place (at school) so I will know tomorrow for sure.

drawing Alfredo

As promissed, The Alfredo drawing.
Im on my workspot , so I cannot comment the next 6 hours.
I was planning on building this one myself.
If you are going to do something with this drawing, please keep me updated.

Attachments

• alfredo small.bmp
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Hello Leon,

many thanks for it.
Does anybody has built or heard the Alfredo horn? What is the lowest response frequence? I'm looking for a horn that has deeper bass frequence than my Acousta 115 horns. And the Alfredo horn ist not significantly lager so I dout if it really goes much deeper.

regards
Thomas

The Alfredo reaches down to 60Hz, in good quality bass.
I'm redesigning it for a double mouth structure (twice as large!!) for higher spl in the bass.
Will not go deeper!!
You will get deeper bass from the "big fun horn" (corner loading) and the "Mau horn".
"Small horns", like the Alfredo, seldom go deep, use a "high-speed"sub.

Hi everyone, I just noticed these posts and that there have been a number of comments about the Alfredo Horn and trying to contact Alf Lepp. I note that they are a year old, so you may not pick this up.

First the bad news, Alf passed away around 5 years ago. He lived a long life and was a brilliant engineer and craftsman. One of the greatest. I had the pleasure of growing up across the street from him and build loudspeakers with him for over 20 years. I have no doubt that Alf would be absolutely thrilled to hear that some of his designs are being discussed long after he was gone.

Now the news about the Alfredo Horns. I don't have any additional plans, however, they are currently sitting slightly wounded in my garage. As tends to happen with Lowther's one of the foam surrounds has decayed and cracked in one place. I can confirm that they average around 96 - 97db @1w/1m and like any other lowther that I have seen measured they were pretty bumpy above 5 kHz. While the measuring system we used wasn't the best below 100Hz, they were pretty useful down to about 50Hz. They used a Lowther PM6A Silver Speech coil unit.

I have attached a photo. Hope it is of interest to you.

Regards

Peter

Attachments

• L1000438.jpg
    L1000438.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,123
Certainly of interest. I have print-outs of the "wrong" alfredo horn, the one with both front and rear loading and they're about 12 years old. It helped feed my interest in horns. Good to hear some background about the designer.

The "right" alfredo horn looks great. The front is mostly mouth, like it should be. Doesn't look too complicated to build, either.

If anyone is planning on building this horn the plans posted by Dave (post 13) are very close to scale...enough to build them. I blew up the plans, printed and started measuring the given dimensions. The most variation I could find was 4 mm. Most of the lengths were right on or a mm out.

If anyone out their does find the dimensions please post them.

Also, any info on the commercial rights?

Thanks
Sean

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If anyone is planning on building this horn the plans posted by Dave (post 13) are very close to scale...enough to build them. I blew up the plans, printed and started measuring the given dimensions. The most variation I could find was 4 mm. Most of the lengths were right on or a mm out.

Sean,

I have no more than i have posted already. Someone will need to redraw the plans from the picture, keeping the known dimensions the same and deriving the rest.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.