Pics Altec Open Baffle Bass 'horn'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Current project is a 3-way 'Altec' horn system, featuring a radical mid bass open baffle 'horn' (wave guide) from Bert Doppenberg (of Oris fame).

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=17004

Bert's design uses x4 15-inch woofers each side and is 9 feet tall...mine is the half version.

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=17095

I will use x4 Altec GPA 416's (I already have two).

At this stage, mid horn will be the Eliptrac 400Hz, DIY with MDF. Driver likely Altec GPA 390.

Eliptrac 400

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/390series.pdf

Tweeter horn is the Visaton TL16.

All fun stuff.

Attachments

• horns frames complete.jpg
    horns frames complete.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • horns frames complete 2.jpg
    horns frames complete 2.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • wood horn 3.jpg
    wood horn 3.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • bert bass horn 4.png
    bert bass horn 4.png
    11 KB · Views: 1,153
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 1,148
Best mid bass attack I can come up with is a single horn loaded 10" covering 100 to 1.5K at around 107 db/w to 1k and 3 db down at 2k. Has lots of SNAP and power

Yeh...I built a Jon Inlow 100hz horn using B&C 12 incher...good response alright.

See DIY audio link of that horn build here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/213849-pics-new-4-way-horn-rig-underway-2.html

For this project, though, I need speakers that don't protrude 100cm into my room....which happens to be family/lounge room. This is why this wave guide is 120cm wide, but only 55 deep.

Yeh...I built a Jon Inlow 100hz horn using B&C 12 incher...good response alright.

See DIY audio link of that horn build here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/213849-pics-new-4-way-horn-rig-underway-2.html

For this project, though, I need speakers that don't protrude 100cm into my room....which happens to be family/lounge room. This is why this wave guide is 120cm wide, but only 55 deep.

It's tough to back to boxes after using horns, NICE horns you built, but with limited room maybe a line array with the Altecs would be good without the front horn and in a box? I imagine it would still be pretty sensitive without the front horn and without an open back wave screwing with the bass response?

It's tough to back to boxes after using horns, NICE horns you built, but with limited room maybe a line array with the Altecs would be good without the front horn and in a box? I imagine it would still be pretty sensitive without the front horn and without an open back wave screwing with the bass response?
Yeh, struggled quite a bit with ideas...but there's something quite nice about the concept and look of this large wave guide. I'm pretty comfortable with the specs...and I understand I'm trading a little bass depth for bass attack.

I've built heaps of speakers before, Tannoy GRF, Cornscala, Bill Fitzmaurice horn subs, Lowthers...plus designed my own radical C-Horn. I'm also a licensed builder for the Carfrae Little Big Horn. Have also built large bass horns for US GOTO rep, Ming Su.

See pics attached.

New C-Horn Released | Hi-Fi

Carfrae Little Big Horn from Creation Audio | Hi-Fi

At the moment, I'm just taken by Atltec and front horns.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 100424_goto_011.jpg
    100424_goto_011.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 595
  • Mahogany GRF-R.jpg
    Mahogany GRF-R.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 553
  • walnut glued up 2.JPG
    walnut glued up 2.JPG
    624 KB · Views: 598
  • GRF Corner Horn.jpg
    GRF Corner Horn.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 590
  • C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 644
Any update on this build? I am wondering if Alpha15 drivers (3 per side) would work in this configuration, albeit with a much shortened wave guide.
Sorry, SAC, not a lot more on the project. In fact, I'm building an Altec 620/Shindo style cabinet to house my Altec 416's. I'll revisit the Open Baffle again though.

I have a mate who needs a good mid bass to improve his Avant Garde Duo's. He has a height restriction of 70cm...so I may convert my version into either a single driver version, or a standard front loaded horn, not unlike Volvotreter, attached.

Midbass Horns

The mouth would be quite wide, eg 95-100cm, with the height 70cm. The depth would be retained per the existing flare, which is about 55cm. The 416 would work very nicely in this config...but I'd have to close in the horn and build a back chamber.

Spotted the attached pic recently, which shows a small horn placed inside/at the top of an open baffle....nice.

I think your x3 Alpha's would be great...but your min height would be around 130cm, no?

Attachments

• imagesCAUDUZI0.jpg
    imagesCAUDUZI0.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 367
Thanks for the reply. I've never heard horns in home audio so can only imagine. Skills and knowledge are limited so its being either full range driver sealed or four way open baffles (PLLXO).

I have squeezed my three drivers into 1220mm height - you ask due to listening height issue I suppose. I am hoping to keep my higher frequencies dipole in a Nao Note clone setup (John Krekovsky upper panel design - 8", 3" and tweeter). Since the drivers will be all or mostly in an independent baffle they can be tilted downwards for listening height allowances, or mounted completely independently even (think Stigerik setup; H-frame subs and those big BG brand planars).

To make use of all my drivers but keep the height down I am considering making the bottom driver a push-pull pair (two 8ohm drivers in parallel), the one above will be the 4ohm I have, and the third hole above can house my 8" drivers.

Admittedly I use these by a projector screen in a narrow room, so it would be a really small waveguide - 50cmX20cm depth - perhaps pointless in this design. Should I just make some h-frames instead?

That picture must be the A820i.
A820i 'Design' Model 2 | Wolf von Langa

Sean

When did he start using Altec/GPA woofers? All the 15" designs I've seen for many a moon now all use his BD15, which historically has a somewhat different set of specs, break-up modes BW than the 416, though his original was similar to the 515-8G IIRC.

WRT the design concept, I wish I still had the files from a looong thread on the Decware? forum back the better part of a decade ago where I 'walked' 'johninCR' through a dipole front/rear WG loaded 'FR' driver build and he was so pleased with it after trying all manner of cab alignments including MLTL, Jensen BLH, Karlson and a strange hybrid that caused me to suggest it that he quit experimenting and left the forums completely soon after AFAIK.

I guess my point is that when sufficient space, budget is available, why 'settle' for ugly, so-so efficiency 'H' frames when one can make an elegant 'statement' with superior performance to boot?

Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken so long for them to be [re]'discovered' yet again as I can't claim any originality either.

GM

When did he start using Altec/GPA woofers? All the 15" designs I've seen for many a moon now all use his BD15, which historically has a somewhat different set of specs, break-up modes BW than the 416, though his original was similar to the 515-8G IIRC.

WRT the design concept, I wish I still had the files from a looong thread on the Decware? forum back the better part of a decade ago where I 'walked' 'johninCR' through a dipole front/rear WG loaded 'FR' driver build and he was so pleased with it after trying all manner of cab alignments including MLTL, Jensen BLH, Karlson and a strange hybrid that caused me to suggest it that he quit experimenting and left the forums completely soon after AFAIK.

I guess my point is that when sufficient space, budget is available, why 'settle' for ugly, so-so efficiency 'H' frames when one can make an elegant 'statement' with superior performance to boot?

Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken so long for them to be [re]'discovered' yet again as I can't claim any originality either.

GM
I hear you. I guess, though, there's something still quite appealing about the OB design...I think the aesthetics are very much a statement...just take a look at Bert's full 4-driver/side verison. Besides aesthetics, I would suggest little/no coloration from the design would be worth persuing....certainly that's the logic behind most people's OB goals. (Remember, the goal of this project was max mid-bass attack.)

As to the 416's vs Bert's woofers, yes, I accept the differences...but I'm confident about the outcome, as the 416 is such a versatile driver, and the flare is not dissimilar to the A5/7. For bass depth, either an EQ'd approach or separate dual tapped horns will be used.

What do you have in mind when you say, "an elegant 'statement' with superior performance to boot?"

Kindly

Attachments

• bd bass horn 2.JPG
    bd bass horn 2.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 333
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.