Pi filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decide add "pi filter" to my Cresendo amplifier power supply.
So I have question about those coils.
How big (mH) should those coils be?
And how many coils must be added?
How thick copper wire must be?

I have six 10000yF capacitors (three per rail).
Supply voltage is +-50VDC.

try with values of 2mh-15mh. Wire size depends on how much of amps you normally running it. go big amps current capability allows upgrading and safer. For further and more detail on the calculations check the forum. There was a huge section on how to design a pi-filter. Very informative. They provide the calculation on the db reduction that you want to achevied. If you are too lazy to search then just go with a 2mh(one of the pass amp uses this with 10000uf -2mh -10000uf ). For you try 10000uf -2mh-20000uf so that way there would be bigger reservoir in case of change in current. On the current / wire size i not to sure. This pi filter is for A operation or AB?

Hello Eccu,

I´ll also use a pi filter for my crescendo. 15mF-1.8mH-50mF. The choke is 1.4mm and 0,38 Ohm. It will reduce the ripple voltage by quite a lot from 300mV to 15mV at 1A bias. With a big secondary capacitor I don´t think there will be a disadvantage in dynamic situations.
You need 4 chokes for a double mono power supply.

william

pi filter

Actual power supply pi filter

Attachments

• pi_filter.gif
    pi_filter.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 603
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.