Physical weight: MDF vs. Bamboo board?

Bamboo board has a density of around 40 lb/cu ft, while MDF ranges from 31 to 62 lb/cu ft.

Or so I read on the internet!

The physical weight of a board therefore equals the volume of the board [length (ft) x breadth (ft) x thickness (ft)] multiplied by the density.

MDF, at least the grade and thickness I've used, is heavier. I make my test cabinets out of anything which comes to hand, for example, scrap MDF from a workshop up the road, or old bamboo or hardwood cutting boards. Bamboo is easily the best to work with for that purpose.

Geoff

One needs to know the respective densities in order to definitively answer the question.

If the two boards are of identical length, breadth and thickness (i.e. volume), then the one with the greater density will weigh the most.

Taking bamboo as 40 lb/cu ft and medium density fibre board as 43.5 lb/cu ft, the MDF board would be the heavier, but not by a huge margin.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is Bamboo board heavier than the MDF?

Bamboo plywood or board? If plywood what flavour? What density (quality?) of MDF?

Stranded/fossilized bamboo plywood is very dense. Heavier than any MDF i have seen.

Note that density is not an asset unless it brings increased stiffness. That bamboo plywood certainly doe that.

The bamboo ply also has the advantage of only needing clear-coat and no veneer.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That can work well.

Blue-GRFonken.jpg

dave