• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

I was considering Mercury Rectifiers for my next tube amp, I'm in two minds now, and the price is a bit off-putting too.

The 866 works by vaporizing a pool of mercury which then acts as a cathode. Without vaporization, it doesn't work. Now imagine a hot glass bulb with vaporized mercury breaking in operation. Admittedly it may not be a likely scenario, but yes, elemental mercury can kill you (notwithstanding comments above). That much more so when inhaled.

Your choice, but I wouldn't consider them.

The 866 works by vaporizing a pool of mercury which then acts as a cathode. Without vaporization, it doesn't work. Now imagine a hot glass bulb with vaporized mercury breaking in operation. Admittedly it may not be a likely scenario, but yes, elemental mercury can kill you (notwithstanding comments above). That much more so when inhaled.

Your choice, but I wouldn't consider them.

OK, I'm with you on this. Better to be safe than sorry!

Okay, I get it. You disagree with my choice of rectifier. Please start another thread debating
the evils of the 866. There have been complaints of contamination (no pun intended) here already. Moderators, I apologize if I’ve caused any headaches with my photo.
Thanks!

Sorry, not trying to contaminate the thread nor start a war. Just trying to clarify misunderstandings and add perspective when questions came up. But it was me who started talking about mercury so I'll shut up now. And I am willing to concede things I don't know, which is a lot.

Sorry, not trying to contaminate the thread nor start a war. Just trying to clarify misunderstandings and add perspective when questions came up. But it was me who started talking about mercury so I'll shut up now. And I am willing to concede things I don't know, which is a lot.

there is no law that prevents anyone from using 866 rectifiers unless you stole them.....

so just be careful that you don't break it, it is really a handling issue...just practice safety and you will be fine...

Sheesh. On and on it goes.

OK, Wintermute, the issues from them are not great. Flourescent bulbs are a problem. Maybe not huge. Or maybe they are. Just because something like flourescent bulbs exist and haven't been outlawed doesn't mean everything is OK. Mercury is a serious problem (particularly in some areas). I prefer not to exacerbate that problem. But if some engineers want to stick their heads in the sand, I'm not going to stop them...

Context. Compared to industrial toxic waste/chemicals & nuclear waste,what is one broken 866A? Your average mobile phone has more impact on the enviroment.

#10648 Back to lovely amps, re 807PPP that's a cracking amp you've built there, very nice work. Interesting placement of the 807's,offset. Is it AB1,VR150's fixing the screen grid voltage? Would like to see the underside which I find more interesting than the top view.Schematic?

I've also built a 807 PPP, it also got complex, I'm in the process of prototyping another, this time Class A PPP, HT/B+ 500v - 600v, looking for a sweet spot.

Andy.

Last edited:
Hey, just finished my "hi-end" tube amp. Each channel is powered by rare Tesla 4xEL34 direct-driven by russian 2x6N6P, voltage amplifier diff stage is NOS Tesla premium ECC803S. Maximum output in 4R or 8R is 2x120W RMS in AB pentode or 2x80W in triode AB2. More images in gallery:

VAtubeAmp — Postimages

Don't know how to insert youtube link in this forum so here is direct one, just a short demo what options it has:

ViliAudio Vacuum tube power amp - YouTube