• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Toronto based Plitron builds toroidal audio output transformers.

In the Netherlands we also have Menno van der Veen.

These are the same OPTs, all designed by Menno.

I remember sitting at a cafeteria table at AES in NYNY fall 1999 and hearing Menno and Bill Perkins, both brilliant transformer designers discussing th epros & cons and the technical stuff wrt toroid (Menno) and C-Core (Bill) OPTs. Quickly went over my hea dby iremained glued to what they were saying, and it was fascinating.

dave

This one has been plauging me since Oct last year, but now I have finally started to get things together.
A small 12B4-SE with a HV DC/DC SMPS, intended to run on a 12V lead battery.
I have mislaid the phonosockets ... again! :headbash:

Transformers are cheap Chinese and the box is some kind of "wooden box" from H&M HOME.

Attachments

• IMG_8604.JPG
    IMG_8604.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_8605.JPG
    IMG_8605.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 730
These are the same OPTs, all designed by Menno.

I remember sitting at a cafeteria table at AES in NYNY fall 1999 and hearing Menno and Bill Perkins, both brilliant transformer designers discussing th epros & cons and the technical stuff wrt toroid (Menno) and C-Core (Bill) OPTs. Quickly went over my hea dby iremained glued to what they were saying, and it was fascinating.

dave

I remember having a chat with Ward de Ceuninck during a lunchbreak at work, (he is one of the two guys behind Monolith Magnetics) and I know exactly how you felt. He is good at explaining things but it quickly went from uhuh, sounds alright, uhuh... into physics that are beyond my knowledge and which might as well be black magic and witchcraft. Too bad his products are way out of my financial comfort zone because they sure look good:eek:

all tube graphic EQ

Unexpected arrival of shipping from US during lockdown of remaining parts necessary to finish this all tube graphics EQ by Rickard Berglund, then again extended quarantine until May 15 so perfect for give a finish to this project.

On page 930 #9296 of this thread the wooden board and other info, here the final build, big task has been find a way to avoid to much cable connections, so I made this kind of "guitar string" for connect the all 10 modules, this workout very well avoiding bundles of wires and unwanted oscillations.

I just tested musically and sound and work very very well, no oscillation whatsoever and even the little hum on the wooden board test is gone, max vol on amp and no noise at all.

I still need nice knobs and somehow some print for the front panel.

I will test now the EQ with generator, scope and Rew for see the real performance.....all the best

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.32 AM.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 619
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.46.44 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.46.44 AM.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 611
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.06 AM.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 548
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.47.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.47.25 AM.png
    768.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Tube Equalizer.jpg
    Tube Equalizer.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 290
Unexpected arrival of shipping from US during lockdown of remaining parts necessary to finish this all tube graphics EQ by Rickard Berglund, then again extended quarantine until May 15 so perfect for give a finish to this project.

On page 930 #9296 of this thread the wooden board and other info, here the final build, big task has been find a way to avoid to much cable connections, so I made this kind of "guitar string" for connect the all 10 modules, this workout very well avoiding bundles of wires and unwanted oscillations.

I just tested musically and sound and work very very well, no oscillation whatsoever and even the little hum on the wooden board test is gone, max vol on amp and no noise at all.

I will test now the EQ with generator, scope and Rew for see the real performance.....all the best

Oh men, this was a specie of dream for long time....

That is really a neat build and a lot of work. Congrats.

This is my first go at an OTL headphone amp. It's based on the ubiquitous 6AS7 cathode follower topology, and I must admit, I looked at Pete Millett's Wheatfield HA-2 schematic more than once.

I built the amp specifically for my Sennheiser HD6XX, and there's no detectable hum or hiss. The soundstage is spectacular.

The front end is a 6EJ7/EF184 triode strapped with an active load provided by a 6C4 in a mu-follower configuration. I set the negative feedback by ear, and it turned out to be around -10dB.

Attachments

• 01 Overview.jpg
    01 Overview.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 634
  • 02 Power Supply.jpg
    02 Power Supply.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 624
  • 03 Main Circuit.jpg
    03 Main Circuit.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 598
  • 04 Amp.jpg
    04 Amp.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 594
My new pre amplifier.
Active load on the gain stage and solid state current sink on the cathode follower.
Power to the supply and the two auxiliary outputs (one push button start for pre and two mono blocks) is via soft start and DC blocker.

Attachments

• 20200404_095727.jpg
    20200404_095727.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 526
  • 20200404_095637.jpg
    20200404_095637.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 306
  • 20200404_095845.jpg
    20200404_095845.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 343
Hi Bas, beautiful unit. What paint did you use for the center transformer if you don't mind my asking.
Thanks! It is Hammerite. Vert Moyen is the colour apparently. Middengroen in Dutch. Or Middle Green in English I suppose. Did a google. Seems it is not on the market anymore :(. I bought it at a shop that sells 2nd hand stuff or other things that are dumped.

Last edited: