• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

very nice :cheers: ;)

thanks, and all irons used in this amp was hand-built by me...:D

Like fifties amp... Incredible Tony.
Always so prolific.
Best Regards

i have seven other amps in various stages of completion.....

nice build sir tony...any schema to share?

just google Marantz 9 and you will see the scheme, but of course
a little bit of re-arangement was done to accomodate the tubes used...

lexx21
Hi the aluminum plates came with the C core power transformers and chokes made in China.
Even have stainless steel bolts.
I ordered the power transformers in Australia after 18 months still had not made them, so canceled and bought from China. I had the Sowter out put from another amp. Still have to make the second mono-block.
Phil

lexx21
Hi the aluminum plates came with the C core power transformers and chokes made in China.
Even have stainless steel bolts.
I ordered the power transformers in Australia after 18 months still had not made them, so canceled and bought from China. I had the Sowter out put from another amp. Still have to make the second mono-block.
Phil
Do you have link where I can order the OPTs.

The Crowning Achievement of my amp building to date

Here is the final configuration of the amp I have had under construction for the past while. I have finally got all the tubes which run the best in it and have thoroughly tweaked it to make it sound incredible.

AAIAMP_zps9dc128a9.jpg

It uses 6J5 preamp tubes, 6SN7 phase splitters and KT88s for the power output and a 5U4 rectifier for each power supply. I found

Speaking of that, there is one common UTC Commercial power transformer but after that, there is are separate power supplies for each channel complete with a huge UTC choke, and a smaller choke in series for the preamp on both sides.

All of the coupling caps are Soviet Mil-spec teflon. All of the wiring is Mil-spec silver plated.

And finishing up the circuit, Hashimoto output transformers.

I have rolled a lot of tubes with this amp and have decided it sounds best with the following complement:

6J5s - Soviet Ministry of Atomic Power and Industry 6S2S Metal Base
6SN7s - Soviet Mil-spec Hole Plate 6N8S MELZ Metal Base
KT88s - New Gold Lions
5U4s - 1959 Svetlana 5C3S

It runs dead quiet with no hum. I'd sure like to enter it in a build competition.

Here is the final configuration of the amp I have had under construction for the past while. I have finally got all the tubes which run the best in it and have thoroughly tweaked it to make it sound incredible.

It uses 6J5 preamp tubes, 6SN7 phase splitters and KT88s for the power output and a 5U4 rectifier for each power supply. I found

Speaking of that, there is one common UTC Commercial power transformer but after that, there is are separate power supplies for each channel complete with a huge UTC choke, and a smaller choke in series for the preamp on both sides.

All of the coupling caps are Soviet Mil-spec teflon. All of the wiring is Mil-spec silver plated.

And finishing up the circuit, Hashimoto output transformers.

I have rolled a lot of tubes with this amp and have decided it sounds best with the following complement:

6J5s - Soviet Ministry of Atomic Power and Industry 6S2S Metal Base
6SN7s - Soviet Mil-spec Hole Plate 6N8S MELZ Metal Base
KT88s - New Gold Lions
5U4s - 1959 Svetlana 5C3S

It runs dead quiet with no hum. I'd sure like to enter it in a build competition.

That is one very nice looking build. I like the unique approach of having the four "big black boxes" on the corners. It is very different from what I am used to and very mirror symmetrical.

Quick question -- is that a plaque on the front or some real time LCD readout?

100W Class A 845 Parallel Push Pull amplifier.

I pull out my most powerful tube amplifier in my collection: 845 Parallel push pull amplifier, 100W pure class A to power the Acoustat/Tad2001/horn system. Plenty power to drive the 2+2 with authority.

This amp used nothing but power tube: EL84 for input, a pair of KT66 loaded interstage for driver, quadruple 845 for output. A pair of these amp draw about 1500W out of the wall playing music.

Attachments

• 845pp2.jpg
    845pp2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 845pp.jpg
    845pp.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,079
mhouston
Do you have link where I can order the OPTs.
I purchased the power transformers from Dibao in China.
They do make Output transformers; I have ordered two for 2A3's and a 2.2k P-P but have still not finished the amps; I bought mine thru an agent who ships them to me by surface mail about $60 for 20 kilo's; I can let you have her Email if you contact me by this site. DHL is tooo expensive. I live in Perth.
Phil
Transformer Manufacturer china
Audio transformer-DIBAO Transformer

AJT
this is my 6550/KT88 Class AB2 power amp.
uses the 6CM7 and the 6J9 in a Marantz 9 inspired circuit...
I looked up the Marantz 9 circuit; why do you class it as AB2 when the output tubes are capacitor coupled? All the AB2 amps I have seen are direct coupled.
What makes the Marantz 9 AB2? I have seen class B el34/36 that are cap coupled.
Great work even making the transformers!!!

Thanks
Phil

AJT
this is my 6550/KT88 Class AB2 power amp.
uses the 6CM7 and the 6J9 in a Marantz 9 inspired circuit...
I looked up the Marantz 9 circuit; why do you class it as AB2 when the output tubes are capacitor coupled? All the AB2 amps I have seen are direct coupled.
What makes the Marantz 9 AB2? I have seen class B el34/36 that are cap coupled.
Great work even making the transformers!!!

Thanks
Phil

yes, i knew someone would ask, that is why i said "inspired",
i never do any of my amps as exact clones of an existing design
for the simple reason that all irons will be different,
operating points are not the same....

the oiginal Marantz 9 is an AB1, to make it an AB2 meant cap coupling
to the cathode follower, direct coupling to output tube grids and bias
to the output tubes controlled by the cathode follower bias...
this is what i intend to do with this build...
the 6J9 input pentode is direct coupled to the small triode 6CM7 ltp pair phase splitter,
then cap coupled to the big triodes of the 6CM7...