• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Here she is : SE 6146B each driven by a 6C4. Speakers are Fostex FE-166en in a BiB. It gets about four hours a day and on the weekends is on probably ten hours each day. And no, that is not a pot plant behind the TV. :)
---
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here she is : SE 6146B each driven by a 6C4. Speakers are Fostex FE-166en in a BiB. It gets about four hours a day and on the weekends is on probably ten hours each day. And no, that is not a pot plant behind the TV. :)
---

Hey, I am thinking of puting some 166en into a BiB too. How do you like them and any extra considerations?

Hey, I am thinking of puting some 166en into a BiB too. How do you like them and any extra considerations?

We love to listen to them (they fit our style of music especially good) and I don't know of anything to tell you other than just build them to the specs based on the speaker. There's a fellow here "planet10" that might offer some advice. I seem to think he may have experimented some with the 166en.

My 813 monoblocks

IMG_0671-L.jpg

813%20amps-L.jpg

As an experiment, I built an 11w per channel, push-pull 6L6GC-triode amp with a two-stage push-pull front end of 12AT7 > 6GU7.

286541d1339260143-dyna-st70-dual-differential-el34-triode-amp-project-6l6gc_triode_pp_dual-diff_05-23-2012_small.jpg

It's built into a Dynaco ST70 chassis I've had for something like 25 years.

ST70_6L6GC_triode_PP_dualdiff.jpg

Much to my surprise, it sounds really pretty darn good! Eli Duttman is right that the 12AT7 sounds really good as an LTP.

Someday I'd like to make a better version in a bigger chassis, with better power supplies, maybe regulated. But for now, this thing gets used every day and keeps on sounding nice.

Currently listening to my own design DC7 Mk III amp based around the 12L8GT dual pentode and PL84's as outputs. Before that I was listening to the DC7 Mk II for about two years (and before that the MK I which was quite a different design).

Working on a E55L spud for my next project.

Shoog

Attachments

• DSCF0582.JPG
    DSCF0582.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 605