• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

12AU7??? Puke!

Ricardo,

Really superb work. That looks so much like a factory built stereo component. Your attention to detail is superb..... but.... why on earth did you go with the 12AU7 tube? Those have high distortion levels. I think 6CG7 would have been a good choice. The octal 6SN7 would have been a superb choice IMO. I am sure there are many others better than the 12AU7.

Thanks guys!

In my humble opinion BUT long practice I learned to respect the 12AU7, one of the most attacked tubes in audiophile circles.

Really I don't see (or hear...) any of the disadvantages credited to it.
Believe me: its sound is superb, lots of dynamics (the true definition of this), crisp but without glare and wonderful bass, not just more bass but lower bass.
Try it if you can: but remember to up the current otherwise I tend to agree in a not so good sound/performance of it... or just about any other tube BTW.
Circa 8 to 10mA per section, 300V on B+, that's all you need to change your mind forever on the 12AU7.

[ ]s
Ricardo

6n1p

.my very 1st tube pre-amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

.coupling caps.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

.filament regulator.

.hv power supply.

.glowing in the dark.

regards:
gustOmO

L-W 2A3

I posted a pic of this JC Morrison SRPP Loftin-White amp several years ago, however it has gone through so many modifications it is nearly a completely different amp from when I began.

Attachments

• mvc-033s.jpg
    mvc-033s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,658
felixx said:
Ferrari...
What do you have there...?
...caps/transformers/tubes???....
Nice design.:cool:

Thanks felixx!

Basically it’s a Bijou OTL headphone amplifier (see link below) as you can see on the faceplate, but with some modifications: higher quiescent current biasing in order to run 6H30P-DR properly in the front-end, DC heaters power supply (instead of AC) and a level meter based on an EM80 was added to the circuit. http://www.cavalliaudio.com/bijou/main.php?page=ampschematic

The transformer is from Welter-Germany, 250V/250mA, 6.3V/6A (about 2x heavier than design spec).
On the pic, the tubes are: 6N1P-EB in the front-end and 6N6P-Pi at the output. Inter-stage coupling caps are Mundorf Zn and Audyn MKP caps (the big ones right behind the tubes) are used as output cap. To me, the sound is a feast for the ears.