Phillips CD 204 skipping 3 years after rebuild

true, thank you.
this one:
1685614955027.png

looks great to my eyes. can you diagnose on the situation? thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
2 options here:
the ball has created a cavity and jumps into it sometimes (or vice versa) or the clamp bumps into the holder in case it is too much out of center. In both cases the holder can be moved a bit to the left or right to avoid these issues (bending the metal clamp holder slightly).

The Puck is in a holder and that holder is held b
in place by 2 metal "ears" that can be bend to center the holder. Make sure the plastic holder can move freely after adjusting the ears but doesn't fall out....

I found an image on the web...

Attachments

• DSC05159.jpg
    DSC05159.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 51
@eschenborn How did you make out with the adjustment suggested by Lampie519? I'm working on a Magnavox FD2040SL12, which is the U.S. version of the CD204, and it's acting up in the same way as yours. I was hopeful that a solution had been reached after the help from Mooly and profiguy. . . .

Hi @dbxdx5 ! thanks for asking. the above suggestion you refer to did not help. checking / adjusting the puck actually was one of the first things I had done.

I came to the conclusion that the problem was the CDM-0 drive, and that the motor bearing was probably worn out. the player had seen a lot of use (faded writing were it had been touched often, e.g. the eject key). the CDM-0 motor can not be opened, unlike the motor in the CDM-1, where you can polish/ repair the bearing.

I ended up finding a cheap-ish used CD-204 in good state. it basically works, also sometimes skips, but in a different way – assumedly needing a recap and a service. did not check yet which drive it has, but there has been less visible wear.

I will transfer the PCBs from the non-worker and hopefully have a working unit again. In case this still gives me problems, I'll do a full recap of the original PCBs. will take some time, though... probably a winter season project.

what mechanism does your player have? CDM-0 as well?