Philips 308 turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Philips 308 Electronic turntable which works fine. But the cartridge has a bad contact or something because sometimes, the right channel goes off. If I touch or move the cartridge a bit , there is a noise and the channel is back On.

The cartridge seems like the original one and this turntable is more than 15/20 years old I guess. I think I need to change the cartridge. Otherwise, the table is not so bad.

Question:

1- Does anybody know anything about this turntable model. Is it any good? I found a photo of a similar table.

2-What type/brand of cartridge could I buy to replace the old philips cartridge.

3- Should I expect a good improvement with a new cartridge.

4- Is there any tweeks I can do to improve the sound of this turntable or should I just change it for something better.

That's a lot of questions! I need advise
F

Attachments

• turn.jpg
    turn.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 270
I was astonished when I first heard one of these TTs.
Build quality is rubbish, suspension is very basic, lots of electronics to cause interference, BUT they sound fantastic!
Philips did something right when they designed this one - keep it and look after it.

Thanks for the info

The turntable model is Philips 312
The cartridge is a 401. It looks kind of bad. I will surely change it.

I don't know about the type needed (P-mount, standard) I do I know? The actual cartridge has 4 little pins at the rear but no screws or anything. It just kind of "fit in" when I push it in.

I will post a photo soon.
F

Its been many years but I seem to remember the headshell slides in with 4 contacts - (am I even close?) and these connections sometimes became a little 'flakey' - just clean and adjust/tweek as needed.

Also I think this table also had a mute switch mechanically activated by the lift (boy its been a long time) - if so check it as well.

I do remeber the touch speed switchs would sometimes get dirty enough to cause problems, just clean.

Happy listening

"Its been many years but I seem to remember the headshell slides in with 4 contacts - (am I even close?) and these connections sometimes became a little 'flakey' - just clean and adjust/tweek as needed. "

Exactly. I will clean those

Don't know about the Mute swich. I don't think mine has that.

F

Dont use P mount

I used a old Grado,It sound very good.

This is a 212 I paid $5. It was a little noisy until I changed powersupply(outboard). It had a broken power switch that was changed.

I find a second 212 broken of course from that I got a desent dustcover.

Attachments

• p5060010[1].jpg
    p5060010[1].jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 177
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.