Phil Short's Tannoy 3828 crossover mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading about Phil Short's crossover mod for the Tannoy dual concentric ceramic magnet 3828 drivers here. They used the same crossover as the HPD drivers, but the characteristics of the tweeter were a bit different.
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy53.htm

Has anyone done this mod without building a whole new crossover? If so how? The article says:
"
I have found that using just the 4mH main winding to feed the HF
compresion driver and not using the step up tapping considerably
improves the HF sound quality.
"

It then recommends building a whole new crossover. I only have the opportunity to do this if I can modify the original crossover. If anyone has done this I'd be interested in exactly what you did.

Last edited:
From scratch

I build the crossover in 2011 for my 3839's and very happy with the result .
I used slightly different values from this website Filton Acoustics --
some pictures attached .

Cheers ,

Rens

Attachments

• 3839filter.jpg
    3839filter.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 525
  • 3839p.jpg
    3839p.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 3839.jpg
    3839.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 491
I'd like to try this with the MiniDSP and two amps, one a SS amp for the woof and one tube amp for the highs.

I priced out a good crossover last year for a project I was building and the cost of good components was more than the MiniDSP.

I finally have the 3828 Berkeleys in my setup for a test drive. Customs held the foams for 1.5 months!

I'll play around with them in stock form for a bit and see what I think. I have the 3828 Berkeleys and the HPD Berkeley. One pair will be sent on its way, one will stay. So far I think the 3828 have more punch.

The 3828 drivers have better bass definition and a larger sweet spot, but can indeed be fatiguing. The HPD sound smoother but the bass is on the slow and lazy side.

Now to figure out the best way to get the improved crossovers in these things. I've emailed filton electronics, the place doctordata suggested above, to see what their crossover costs.

I'll build them myself if I can find a good way to measure them so the crossover points are exact.

I build the crossover in 2011 for my 3839's and very happy with the result .
I used slightly different values from this website Filton Acoustics --
some pictures attached .

Cheers ,

Rens

Last edited:
You can find fully assembled crossovers like this on ebay.
I've seen them, but they are very expensive.
As I said I'd join the Tannoy Yahoo group.

That way you could just ask other members like Phil Short.

I have joined that group. I haven't got any answers about the DCR yet, although I've been made aware that the inductor value for the woofer is wrong. Haven't heard from Phil Short yet.

in general - Rdc of series inductivity for bass is always lowest possible
so , either big air choke with 1.6mm dia wire or decent iron choke

regarding value of bass choke - 1.2mH is about right

do not believe in every dilemma posted on web

Everyone on the mailing list said it was supposed to be 2.7mH, it seemed to be agreed upon. The original crossover uses that value too.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Everyone on the mailing list said it was supposed to be 2.7mH, it seemed to be agreed upon. The original crossover uses that value too.

well , I'm also in Tann group and I know the place ..... and I frankly wasn't aware of mass agreement for 2.7 vs. 1.2mH

same as I know difference with 1.2mH vs. 2.7 , both in sound and in simulations , with my K3808 in various boxing arrangements

read this : MG15-problem

from my experience , it is definitely cleaner sounding with 1.2mh in series and RC (6R8 + 30uF) across the speaker

see here : tannoy xover | Search Results | Zen Mod Blog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.