Phase Linear Model 700

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatech said:
Hi Pete,
I used to stock 2SD424 and 2SB554 as well as 2SD555 and 2SB600. Wonderful output devices. I can't say that I had any trouble with oscillation with these.

Of course I also stocked the jedec numbers, or ordered them as required.

I would suspect that the layout may have something to do with devices oscillating. Yes, the 2Sx series seemed to be faster with higher gain.

-Chris

Not sure I'm following, did you try them in a PL700, and not see oscillations? If Phase Linear was right about only using 2SD555s it points to the MJL4281 as the right part. On the other hand, it's well documented that the PL700 output deviced were selected for LOW beta, why would they suggest a high beta replacement part? On the other hand the MJL4281 SOA is only 1A, 100V, 1 sec, whereas the 21194 is 2A, 100V, 1 sec. 21194s win from an SOA perspective and I believe it's worth figuring out if a mod is needed to make them stable.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pete,
I went with manufacturer's recommendations where ever possible. I'll bet that I used MJ15024 / 5 in an emergency for a road amp without too many troubles. I would not generally use a Japanese part for a US one or vice versa.

I am so use to seeing amps oscillate that it would not be memorable if I had to modifiy the feedback cap or bandwidth limiting caps in some way. I would refer to a manufacturer's in print changes for other models if need be. Even C-B caps could be used.

-Chris

Last year I repaired a 700II with the original 2SD555's in it. It had burnt the output R/C network, specifically the cap in both channels. It was oscillating. I tried the usual fix of 150pf on the bc of the predrivers to no avail. Decoupling caps, and all of the tricks I know didn't work. I switched to MJ2119X and all was well. Question of the day: Did it leave the factory like that? Who knows.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Hugo,
You are right, but they are supposed to be an approved substitute. See the Phase Linear service bulleton 1-80 concerning output transistors.

That amplifier may have been serviced at an autorized warranty center or other good shop. Bad shops generally would not use 2SD555's due to cost.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Hugo,
You are right, but they are supposed to be an approved substitute. See the Phase Linear service bulleton 1-80 concerning output transistors.

That amplifier may have been serviced at an autorized warranty center or other good shop. Bad shops generally would not use 2SD555's due to cost.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

As I read it the faster 2SD555 were only for the older PL700s, and the slower MJs were for the newer series II. So that would be the wrong part in that amp.

Pete B.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I found some time to finish modeling the 700B.
Picture is the best I can produce, Transistors are what was reasonably available in Microcap except for the Ge's Q8 and Q9 which are standard models.
I can pass the model text file to anyone interested.

/Hugo

Attachments

• 700bvoltage1.gif
    700bvoltage1.gif
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,307
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.