Pete Millet's NuHybrid amp - Help diagnosing buzz/hiss in right channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends, is the noise exactly the same in both channels, like mono would be?

Or is there rather, about equal, but different, noise in the two channels? If you used headphones,
would the noise be in the middle of your head, or in each ear? Listen right between the speakers.
Does the noise center at your head, or do you hear two noise sources, at the left and right?

Yep, metal film. Pretty sure they're all KOA Speer brand.

This circuit uses very high resistance values, and very low plate current.
Did you use metal film resistors?

There's no easy way to check the regulator except by replacing it,
but it is not very likely to be the problem. And there is already some filtering on it.

Can you install different tubes to see if the noise changes?

These NuTubes are rather costly so I can't exactly grab a replacement too easily. I suppose I could de-solder the NuTube from my other amp that uses one, and swap it out just to try. I have a very nice Hakko desoldering gun that always works well without damaging the PCB or the components, so I'd feel pretty confident trying that.

But let's say I tried that, and the hiss was still present... what would that tell us?

Joined 2011
Yes, but we'd have to look into the tube parameters, or else get some third party advice.
The factory data sheet circuit isn't that much different from this circuit, though.

However, there is a way to see if the noise is from the bias regulator IC.
Leave out the capacitors that you removed, for now.
Connect a 10uF 35V capacitor directly from each tube grid to ground.
Make sure the positive terminal of the new capacitor is connected to the tube grid,
and the negative is connected to circuit ground.

There will be no sound when doing this, just the noise (if it is still there).
This filters the bias supply heavily, and will show whether that is the source of the noise.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...operates the tubes at excessively low plate currents (roughly 30uA).

The NuTube (originally a display device) is about the worst tube ever used in audio. I forget the curves but 30uA may be as good as it can do.

The nearest experts will be Pete Millett and Nelson Pass.

Pass's plan: https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_diy_nutube_preamp.pdf -- not so different from Millett's, as far as the tube goes. (Different in/out buffers.)

Attachments

• NuTube-2X-42.gif
    NuTube-2X-42.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
First I hoped it was the 475k bias resistors ....

Bypassed by 10k pot through 100nFd cap. About 1uV in the upper audio band. Would be quite inaudible at line level. (Even raw 475K is only 9uV, not a big hiss.)

I have not seen where either Millett or Pass comment on hiss. I wonder if there could be "good and bad" batches?

Ah,,, heater temperature matters, at least in more sophisticated cathodes.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
How about some images of your build? I have two of these HPA's and they are dead quiet. Your comment about having to ground the volume pot has made me wonder why this was needed. In my builds the volume pot is mounted to the circuit board as is the headphone connector and the rca connectors. Maybe worth a look.

Here's an update for you: Pete Millett got back to me about the hiss, and recommended lowering the value of R13 and R14, starting with 220k and going as low as 100k or lower. I tried 220k and didn't hear a huge difference. Going to try 100k later and give it a listen.

When you say hiss, you specifically do NOT mean mains hum/buzz, right?
What 'tone' does the buzz/hiss have?

Jan

Higher frequency hiss. Snakelike. Doesn't sound like mains buzz to me at all, having heard that in other scenarios.

How about some images of your build? I have two of these HPA's and they are dead quiet. Your comment about having to ground the volume pot has made me wonder why this was needed. In my builds the volume pot is mounted to the circuit board as is the headphone connector and the rca connectors. Maybe worth a look.

Here's some pictures of my build. NuHybrid Build - Album on Imgur

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.