Pearl Two

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Though the new article hasn't come out, unless you have a high gain pre or step up, I don't think the Pearl has enough gain for a 103.

Peter Daniel's phono stage works just fine with one though. Dead quiet too.

Where is the Daniels version? I'm not finding on his Audio sector site, havent got responses lately, maybe he's on vacation or otherwise busy. I'll check group buys.

Russellc

Hey everyone.
Out of people that have built the Pearl (and better, the newest Pearl 2), can anyone say where it rates in terms of the quality of sound? Are there any extensive reviews of the Pearl anywhere? I haven't really seen much.
I recently built Peter Daniel's phono and am quite happy with it - it easily outperforms my ARC PH3SE...but I am always interested to try new things.
Thanks for any input you guys might have.
Byron

I wonder if the ground plane seen in the shots is duplicated on the other side of the board.
I think it is, and that the point seen near C12 serves for the 2 ground plane melting, or is it accomplished at the "PAD2 GROUND" placing ? This must be critical for some ground / noise issues.

Best regards,

nAr

Russell,

Do you know what case you will put this in and will you put the power supply inside the same case or external? Thanks.

James

My guess is: better put toroid + bridges + 1st set of capacitors in a separate metal housing. Then have the connection to the boards that have their own enclosure, both enclosures preferably aluminium and properly grounded. This way, most silent operation is possible.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russell,

Do you know what case you will put this in and will you put the power supply inside the same case or external? Thanks.

James

I usually have Westend cut aluminum to size for me. I'd like to have the power supply in the box, but the 2 boards will take up enough real estate, so it will likely have to be in a seperate box.

The B-1 box Westend made me has extrusions for the side pieces, and 1/8 inch 6061 aluminum for the top and bottom, and back, I think the face plate is a little thicker material.

Russellc

I have some more questions: can we use the ZVP2110A instead of ZVP3310?
It has a RDSON of 8 ohms instead of 20 for the ZVP3310, fw. transconductance of 125 mS instead of 50, an input capacitance of 100pF instead of 50 ... question is because the 2110A is very easily available here. Maybe C7 will need to be re-adjusted then.

Which is the "right" red led to use ? I mean, which is the desired direct tension needed (varies with every type of red led) ?

Best regards,

n A r