PCM1704 Diy dac+ discrete i/v+ valve buffer

There is a small demo here;

https://youtu.be/khO4s12TPOg

Even on my crap computer speakers that sounds like it's got the goods.

Got some questions if that's alright.
I take it that was with discrete I/V as the opamp sockets are empty?
What is the input impedance of the I/V stage that the output of the PCM1704 sees?
What is the output buffer?
Have you got >2v at 0dbf on the output?
What kHz is the -3db point HF filter at?
And where is this filtering done?

Cheers George

Last edited:
hi georgehifi,

I take it that was with discrete I/V as the opamp sockets are empty?

Yes; opamp socket empty because use discrete I/V

What is the input impedance of the I/V stage that the output of the PCM1704 sees?

I don't measurement. IV resistor is 2.7 k %0.1 tolerance

What is the output buffer?

Tube buffer. We tested 6n3p-dr and jan5670. jan5670 much better than 6n39-dr

Have you got >2v at 0dbf on the output?

PCM1704 have 1.2 ma current output max @ 0dB. So, 1.2 ma x 2700 ohm (output resistor) x 0.707 (root of 2) =~ 2.3 v rms

What kHz is the -3db point HF filter at?
And where is this filtering done?

have no any digital and active analog filter.
Except for the 330 pf output capacitor.

All tests are ok. I started to set the chassis.
I plan the box layout as follows; Pcm1704 board, raspberry pi 3, usb to i2s board, coax/opt spdif to i2s board, tube buffer, digital volume kontrol, lcd and mcu board with remote control and shunt reg. boards vs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Digital volume control pcb

hi georgehifi,

I don't measurement. IV resistor is 2.7 k %0.1 tolerance

PCM1704 have 1.2 ma current output max @ 0dB. So, 1.2 ma x 2700 ohm (output resistor) x 0.707 (root of 2) =~ 2.3 v rms

So the current output pin 14 (soic) of the PCM1704 is seeing 2.7Kohm, is it not much better sounding for it to see around 15-30ohms??

Which then will drop the 1.2mA output, and you won't have 2.3v output.

Cheers George

I am using discrete IV after pcm1704. not use only one resistor passive IV after pcm1704.

When I asked what is the loading the 1704 sees you replied
"IV resistor is 2.7 k %0.1 tolerance"

So you don't know what loading the 1704 sees, as to still get the data sheet 1.2mA output it must be very high, which is not ideal from what I've been led to believe, it should be around 15ohms, for it's best performance.

Cheers George

Hi George;

We use Pedja Rogic's Discrete Diamond Non-Feedback I/V Stage.
I think this is the answer to your questions
why we use 2.7 k on I/V ? Because some friends in our group no use preamplification stage on their systems. They need more gain.
The value of the capacitors and resistors used can be optimized with the ear and the system used.

:)

Hi George;

We use Pedja Rogic's Discrete Diamond Non-Feedback I/V Stage.
I think this is the answer to your questions
why we use 2.7 k on I/V ? Because some friends in our group no use preamplification stage on their systems. They need more gain.
The value of the capacitors and resistors used can be optimized with the ear and the system used.

:)

Wouldn't it be better to give that gain needed by the buffer instead, and keep the I/V resistance as seen by the 1704 low.
As I also use no active preamp with no gain and my output buffer after the I/V stage has the gain needed to give the >2v at the output.

Cheers George

Last edited: