Pc -> Dac, How ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suggested a 24/96 TAS1020 based USB interface on the support forum a while back. I have an older Audiotrak optoplay and the board is tiny and simple with minimal component count.

I assume with the Centrance firmware that Lavry and Benchmark also have licensed for their TAS1020 USB interfaces this should not be too hard.

Of course this should come after the release of the AC1:)

Cheers

Thomas

Joshua_G said:
Texas Instruments TAS1020 is obsolete.

I think many of us are interested in a USB/firewire converter for our beloved buffalo.
The subject is a bit off topic, even if the chief moderator started with it.
The *recommended" belcanto device is expensive, uses an old chip and is not future proof, no 192khz. Then there is also the USB/firewire discussion. The Weiss converter is even more expensive. At the moment I would use a cheap usb converter and ..wait, or probably you can find a M-Audio or Edirol firewire device, then you have an additional AD converter with a mic preamp for the same price as the belcanto.
regards Andre

rolls said:

... uses an old chip and is not future proof, no 192khz. Then there is also the USB/firewire discussion. The Weiss converter is even more expensive. At the moment I would use a cheap usb converter and...

My thoughts precisely. I can't believe people still use a chip that is almost 10 years old... I'll stick with the PCM270x until something more modern shows up... With regard with the other solutions I think they use ASIO drivers which I think iTunes cannot connect in Windows and I like itunes too much to give it up. So keep on waiting...

I don't know if I would be that optimistic... I'm currently trying to source a WUSB chip for a specific product and it seems that it's impossible for a startup (not even talking about a single DIYer) if you're mentioning quantities of less than 10k... =(

But WUSB chips have been in full production since early 2006, so go figure... You need to go through NDAs and some proprietary "qualification" procedures to even get on the list of companies they woudn't mind selling 10k+ units to.... =\

Very interesting stuff! But are you sure it can output i2s, and with a clean clock...?
my hypothesis reads as follows: the chip operates on a 12 mhz clock, as far as i remember with internal pll generated 480mhz. this clock is supplied to the uarts/mpsse by dividers. because 44.1k will require non-integer divisors it the outputted serial clocks will probably not be very clean...

in the case of the buffalo with its internal dpll i doubt this would cause problems.

the question of drivers is another issue. because it's so damn cheap i will order one and do some experiments with python and libusb. for simplicity reasons (using linux here).

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The MAudio Transit USB is mentioned in the article as using t he TAS1020 and feeds the to a AKM4585 . Uses a driver program to install.

My interpretation of what the author of the article said was that he really couldn't tell any difference in sound between the belCanto and the Transit...
BUT, lots of driver issues- especially with Mac...

http://www.amazon.com/M-AUDIO-Trans...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

BUT most of the problems are from older reviews, newer ones seem to be positive generally..

On the other hand, this has great reviews as far as drivers go:

http://www.amazon.com/Edirol-UA-1EX-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B000BD1AF0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Wonder what chip it uses..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.