PC As Active Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You should find enough information by searching this sub forum but, basically, you would need a sound card with 4 output channels or more (4ch for 2-way, 6ch for 3-way, 8 for 4-way, etc.) and then just select the method you want to use for crossover filtering and feed the signal through each output.

Thanks guys, well i use Linux in my workstation laptop and windows in my desktop. but im building a new PC for HTPC so can install windows or linux. Just trying to figure if are better to purchase an exclusive Xover, build an pasive one or use the PC as Xover :)

IMO, with Win everything would be easier.
You have 2 choices for (easy to use) system wide crossover in Windows system; EqualizerAPO and virtual audio cabling.
With EqualizerAPO you're limited to output APIs which supports APOs (but nice feature is that you be able to bypass APO by using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive mode for output without need for disabling/turning off the crossover system) and with VAC you would need '3rd' software placed between the playback software and VAC to get the DSP done.

If you go with VAC then I would suggest trying the Voicemeeter Banana from VB-Audio.
If you go with EqualizerAPO then there's already crossover presets available for both type filters (IIR/FIR) to start with.

Last edited:
Hm. I admit that I got a cheap one off Amazon for $25. It's a simple USB 7.1 box. Sounds just fine to me. When I've looked at blind testing, most folks can't tell one from another, so I don't bother playing in the expensive electronics leagues. I can hear speaker differences, but never have been able to hear amps, sound cards, etc.

Can you recommend a particular sound card/multichannel dac?

I'd recommend any of Focusrite's products. I've used the Saffire PRO24. Works great. It uses the better DACs from Cirrus (-106 dB THD as I recall) and the flagship Cirrus DAC CS4398 if I recall correctly for the headphone out.

I'm tempted to get one of the Scarlett series as they take USB input. The Saffire is FireWire.

Tom

I'd recommend any of Focusrite's products. I've used the Saffire PRO24. Works great. It uses the better DACs from Cirrus (-106 dB THD as I recall) and the flagship Cirrus DAC CS4398 if I recall correctly for the headphone out.

I'm tempted to get one of the Scarlett series as they take USB input. The Saffire is FireWire.

Tom

I see some goods reviews about Scarlett!

Offtopic:... Your sign/footer are nice, didnt know abt Modulus-86 :D Looks like will try to order some kit asap to test it :D

I do not understand your message...!?
I am fully statisfied with the sound quality of this program. Only the user interface should be better and some practical functions a little improved...

IMO, system wide crossover system is the way to go. DSP features in JRiver are for JRiver only so using JRiver for crossover ties to use JRiver only (i.e JRiver this JRiver that).

IMO, system wide crossover system is the way to go. DSP features in JRiver are for JRiver only so using JRiver for crossover ties to use JRiver only (i.e JRiver this JRiver that).

Yes, you are right!
This is why I am using both, JRiver und EqAPO.
The first for listening quality music (ASIO), the last for common use e.g. system sounds, youtube, games so on (DirectSound)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.