Passive Time Alignment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey guys,

I want to implement passive time alignment to my passive 3 way xovers, doubts:

1-What's the correct position to calculate the delay:
a/ The middle of voice coils?
b/ The dust caps?
c/ The middle of the magnets?

2-What's the better solution:
a/ Physical time alignment delay moving the tweeter & midwoofer to the same level as the woofer?
b/ Electrical time alignment delay using a phase shift added to the xover?

Attached pics of all that I seen on the net.

TIA
Felipe

Attachments

• MH-AUDIO DelayLine3.jpg
    MH-AUDIO DelayLine3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 785
  • Wikipedia TM_lobe_time_aligned.gif
    Wikipedia TM_lobe_time_aligned.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 714
  • physical alignment Lenard Audio.gif
    physical alignment Lenard Audio.gif
    5 KB · Views: 713
TM is right that the correct way is to measure with Holmimpulse or REW. The mechanical distances are not reliable indicators of the phase tracking of the drivers. Certain mixed crossover alignments can produce time and phase offsets. Look into "Quasi-Optimal" crossover designs. It is possible to add delay elements to the crossovers, but proper implementation is very difficult and complex. Zaph's ZD5 is one examplehttp://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5.html url

I want to implement passive time alignment to my passive 3 way xovers, doubts:

1-What's the correct position to calculate the delay:
a/ The middle of voice coils?
b/ The dust caps?
c/ The middle of the magnets?

Any or none; this is a complex / variable condition that depends on driver design & use, so you're better off measuring if at all possible to establish the acoustic centre.

2-What's the better solution:
a/ Physical time alignment delay moving the tweeter & midwoofer to the same level as the woofer?
b/ Electrical time alignment delay using a phase shift added to the xover?

Since 'better' is also a floating point that depends on design specifics, either or neither. Not that it matters, by nature I'm inclined to always look for acoustic / mechanical solutions to acoustic / mechanical 'problems' first. However: physical time alignment, via a stepped or sloping baffle has its own issues, notably the potential for additional diffraction etc., and this can (can) get worse the larger the required offset. So a passive delay network, providing you have the data to do it, may sometimes reduce these compromises, while not being without some itself -notably the fact that they can be difficult to design (this can be overstated -the two I've done took a bit of work but no more) and require more components, increasing cost. YMMV.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Attached phase measurement at the listening point, smoothing 1/6.

TM is right that the correct way is to measure with Holmimpulse or REW. The mechanical distances are not reliable indicators of the phase tracking of the drivers. Certain mixed crossover alignments can produce time and phase offsets. Look into "Quasi-Optimal" crossover designs. It is possible to add delay elements to the crossovers, but proper implementation is very difficult and complex. Zaph's ZD5 is one examplehttp://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5.html url

Post 4 is the phase measured with ARTA.

Last edited:
you need to choose a suitable setup for useable data
thus for some intial testing to get you going, i would set up your mic on axis with the tweeter and say 60cm away from the baffle
then, take an f/r of the tweeter only, and then of the mid(midbass) only

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have measurements 50 cm from drivers & near field 2-3cms, what data do you need: FRD, ZMA & PIR (the las only for ARTA), also I have pics of measurements FR 50cm from drivers & near field of drivers. Drivers are:

Tweeter Seas Millenium
Mid-woofer Scan Speak 18W8545-00
Woofer SB Acoustic 8” SB23NRXS45-8

Attachments

• SBA.zip
    83.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Seas Millenium.zip
    81.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Scan Speak mid woofer.zip
    83.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 8 SB23NRXS45-8.pdf
    348.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 18w-8545-00.pdf
    679.3 KB · Views: 50
  • e0011_t25cf002_millennium.pdf
    105.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Attached pics with separate phase of each driver.

Attachments

• SEAS 50 cm Phase.png
    SEAS 50 cm Phase.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 574
  • SEAS campo cercano Phase.png
    SEAS campo cercano Phase.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 117
  • SS 50 cm Phase.png
    SS 50 cm Phase.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 108
  • SS campo cercano Phase.png
    SS campo cercano Phase.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 82
  • SBA 50 cm Phase.png
    SBA 50 cm Phase.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 97
  • SBA campo cercano Phase.png
    SBA campo cercano Phase.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 85
Looks like you have to read these instructions for ARTA users and study several different diy project "stories" from kimmosto, Krutke, Gravesen etc.

Then decide which design/simulation program you wil be using.

https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/VituixCAD/VituixCAD Measurement Preparations.pdf

If you are planning a dsp-controlled system (Hypex FA, minidsp etc.) you can set delays by doing acoustic measurements and looking at impulse/step.

The acoustic center of sound radiation from a loudspeaker is a bit in front of a cone's dustcap and a bit behind a dome's top. But still only some coaxial drivers are "perfect" in this sense. The higher frequency xo we use, the more critical and difficult this gets. With only physical offset, we get in trouble off-axis...

Aligning by voice coils is just a broad advice for PA speakers which have a compression driver behind a horn, it doesn't suit for typical hifi speakers...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.