Passive Crossovers ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes, but what is neutral? is it the loudspeaker or maybe the room? can a neutral loudspeaker in a poor room be considered as a neutral playback?

So you'll play that game - if it's not perfect then let us not pay attention to any of the design features ?

Go into nearfield and get the room out of equation.

Or, you must control your electronics, then use accurate loudspeakers and finally room treatment. Every part you don't pay attention to leads to some degree of degradation. People tend to choose their personal degree of compromise/degradation. But you must be aware, when you choose a compromise, where it must be chosen, where you want to do it and where it can be better. New generation of accurate loudspeakers are fixing only one part of the problem. You are responsible for your room, others are responsible for recordings.

Last edited:
I share your passion for accurate loudspeakers and accurate sound - but we are minority still. I don't mind that since i really don't care what other people want to listen, but it is a fact. If people would do more critical listening, many loudspeakers available as a DIY and commercial products just wouldn't cut it.

The thing is, most don’t care about accuracy. They want to enjoy the music. And the equipment to do that is the tool, not the goal. Many here are very anal about this number or that graph. And although they are essential tools to make systems to enjoy music, those numbers and graphs are not the goal, enjoying music is. So don’t crucify anybody who don’t want accurate speakers as noobs, they just got a different goal than you!

The thing is, most don’t care about accuracy. They want to enjoy the music...

You are right about that. And i don't have anything against it until someone tries to push imperfection as superior to less compromised loudspeaker.

And the equipment to do that is the tool, not the goal...

Same here, or you are presuming that for me equipment is goal. If you do, then you don't know me (as you don't).

Many here are very anal about this number or that graph. And although they are essential tools to make systems to enjoy music, those numbers and graphs are not the goal, enjoying music is...

Agree.

... So don’t crucify anybody who don’t want accurate speakers as noobs, they just got a different goal than you!

Now this is just plain stupid after few sensible things you wrote. You are again presuming on my goals. I reacted to a statement that technically good and accurate loudspeakers sound bad per se. Nobody stood up (probably because most of guys who would already did it before and led few pointless battles) so naively, i did.

We're talking/typing - not crucifying anyone. At least to my knowledge and perception.

Last edited:
The easier way:
"Go into nearfield and get the room out of equation."

The correct (but not that easy) way:
"You are responsible for your room."

I don't have problem with bad recordings. I mean, I do, but I don't blame the speakers/electronics for it...One just can't make a poor recording sound great. Better to accept it for what it is (and why), or don't listen to it.

Last edited:
The thing is, most don’t care about accuracy. They want to enjoy the music. And the equipment to do that is the tool, not the goal. Many here are very anal about this number or that graph. And although they are essential tools to make systems to enjoy music, those numbers and graphs are not the goal, enjoying music is. So don’t crucify anybody who don’t want accurate speakers as noobs, they just got a different goal than you!

well said :)

Woohoo, found some like minded people at last.

Agree djent is a style of playing but if you group band that use that as their predominant underpinning style then the you could argue that the grouping could also be called djent. Many words are used for different situations or different meanings, why not djent?

Anyway, my beef on other forums is when asked what I listen to and I say “djent, tech metal, melodic death, traditional thrash etc.” the first reaction is “you must need loads of bass then”. Imo, and having played quite a bit with a software based “equilizer” I tend to have to reduce the bass in order to get the dynamics, therefore bass that starts and stops quickly I much preferable to just bass volume. Just listen to Gojira - in the Forest, great fast bass work out!

Just got back from Download 2019 in U.K. and Opeth, dream theatre and animals as leaders were highlight along with experiencing my first tool gig! Going to a small “prog metal” festival in a few week, animals as leaders headlining with monuments plus sithue aye, intervals, khadinja, tosca and modern day Babylon. \m/

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.