Passive Analog Summing Mixer Design Review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes there is great debate about summing in the analog domain versus digitally. It's a topic I'm interested in. A lot of my favourite engineers use analog summing but the pieces of gear they use cost thousands. By designing my own simple passive summing mixer, not only will I be able to see if there really is a sonic difference, but I also gain some experience designing, working with electronics, creating a PCB etc.

Last edited:
Yes there is great debate about summing in the analog domain versus digitally. It's a topic I'm interested in. A lot of my favourite engineers use analog summing but the pieces of gear they use cost thousands. By designing my own simple passive summing mixer, not only will I be able to see if there really is a sonic difference, but I also gain some experience designing, working with electronics, creating a PCB etc.
Well, you'll get some extra noise and possibly other kinds of signal degradation depending on how the unit is designed and constructed. If everything is already digital and you have enough dynamic range/headroom, you should really just keep it all digital as long as possible.

Suggest you read "grounding & shielding in instrumentation" book I found on closeout shelf of a bookstore in 1970. Secret knowledge not taught in colleges because there is not enough math to flunk any students with.
That might be one of the good Ralph Morrison (RIP) books:
Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference Mar 16, 2007
Grounding And Shielding: Circuits And Interference Jan 1, 2014
Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference (Wiley - IEEE) Apr 4, 2016
Solving Interference Problems in Electronics Nov 17, 1995
Grounding and Shielding Techniques Mar 19, 1998
Grounding and Shielding Techniques in Instrumentation, 2nd ed. Jan 1, 1977
Noise and Other Interfering Signals Dec 1, 1991
and the one I like best
Grounding and Shielding in Facilities Feb 1, 1990

Some of the older books are available for under $20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.