Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I seem to recall from previous efforts getting about 20 ohms
from my bulbs when run at 30V or so.

:cool:

Nelson, I know you are still working things out, but are the bulbs you used 150w? And likely to stay being 150w? That's what I remember, but if it is confirmed, then at least everyone can obsess over getting the bulbs while you get some breathing room on the design ;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yap, they do ring. I noticed that with my Zen-lite amp. I think it's the AC-current through the filament changing it's temperature/length. I first thought I was tripping but it kind of makes sense...
Concerning bulbs and their resistance...maybe it's time to reread the Zenlite article.

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zenlite.pdf

(btw, I sourced my bulbs when I was on holidays in Mexico, 300W 115V, plus sockets. Luckily still have four in spare...)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This has been already mentioned, but I couldn't find it just now. Check out
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zenlite.pdf

to catch up on light bulbs, power supply and other relevant issues, as well as the same old crazy ideas: more power, balanced.....

mark

EDIT: I couldn't find the link because it was posted by Rodeodave on the previous page! I was looking earlier in the thread. well, here's another excellent and relevant and already mentioned link:

http://passlabs.com/pdf/articles/sweet_spot.pdf

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You will have to forgive the occasional lapse.

I have a purchasing manager, a big budget, and indulgent
business partners, so I don't think twice about ordering up
two different types of parts, or even the antique light bulbs.

That entices me to forget that not everyone is so blessed.

On the other hand, somebody needs to do it, if only to
provide vicarious entertainment. A little adventure won't
hurt you at 5% of the price of audiophile interconnects.

:cool:

I would prefer to hear about all the options. I heard the DeLite at
Burning Amp and the mosfets used sounded good enough for me to order 4 from the group buy. If something "better" comes along I certainly want to hear about it also. Would add to the fun to compare various devices..

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oh yeah, I found some huge 20 ohm wire wound resistors at a surplus place.. Sure they wouldn't glow or look cool like a bulb, but they look kinda cool in their own right, and should be more rugged, compact and linear. BUT they are probably really inductive- is that bad for the "load " resistor? A little bad? really bad? Not bad at all?

Inquiriung reader wants to know..

I am glad someone brought this one back up because I am going to build one of these I think. I needed an excuse to buy some parts from Mouser and they now have these parts available for $9.96/FET. I think I will throw them on with a bag full of JFET's and mixed passives. I wanted to ask though, how big should that 1R be(?), the picture looks like 100watt. Thanks!

:cheers:
James

It would be interesting to try both standard resistors and light bubs as loads. Is there a little magic due to the modulation of load resistance via signal current? The bulbs can be found at Mc Master-Carr, or consult your phone book for that dusty little electrical supply house in your city...

If they have the bulbs, they may also have the cool retro ceramics sockets, too, a good idea for things that get hot as a matter of course.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just wondering if there were an obvious theoretical problem. I found bulbs and sockets quite a while ago at a local electrical supply shop that caters to electricians, when I was considering building Nelson's previous "Enlightened Zen" amp. So I will have bulbs, but I haven't bought the resistors yet, wanted to check first.. might make christmas present amps!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I measured one of the bulbs (115V 300W) I am using in my Zenlite. See attachments.

Attachments

• [Book1]Sheet1.png
    [Book1]Sheet1.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Graph01.png
    Graph01.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,265
  • Graph02.png
    Graph02.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,253